Anyone familiar with repair on Hearthstone wood stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCMtnHaul

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First let me just say for the love of all that is decent in the world DO NOT BUY A HEARTHSTONE WOOD STOVE!!! The company is worse than a fresh cat turd, and I really hate cat turds, and their design is very problematic to repair--to the point where I can't even find a repair technician who wants the work.

But moving on. The "Front air control mechanism" or vent or damper needs to be replaced because of a defect in production. Now the company refers to this defect/flaw/mistake as a "machining variance" which is a pretty pathetic way of trying to cover a screwup. One of my clients is a master machinist who makes parts for Lockheed Martin and he just laughed when I mentioned "machining variance". Here is the pdf detailing the procedure
https://hearthstonetech.com/wp-cont...ii-8362-push-rod-replacement-instructions.pdf
I may take a shot at this and be prepared to just junk the stove and buy a good one instead but this stove is only 3 years old and I'd like to get my money's worth. So if anyone has direct experience with this type of repair or with nearly total disassembly of a wood stove I would appreciate any tips or cautionary tales. My main concern with doing this myself is that I reassemble everything but manage to leave an air gap somewhere and can't control the fire, or worse.

That is involved (looked at the PDF file). If it was me, I believe I'd list it on Craigslst or Goggle Marketplace for a good price and move on to a better and not defective from the factory unit. Now is the prime time to dump it I'd say.

Since it is technically a functional stove I suppose I could sell it but I certainly don't look forward to removing it from the house--lots of stairs to navigate. Probably have to rent one of the hand trucks the stove installers use.

Think I'd list it as 'buyer removes it'. Bought a couple biomass stoves that way in the past from Craigslist and I've discovered that most sellers sell them because they don't have a clue how to operate them properly. I refurb them and resell them and I always male a tidy profit too. Last one I bought (last year), I not only got the complete stove but I got all the venting pipe as well. It was a disaster inside but I cleaned it, sand blasted and painted it with HT paint and sold it for 2 times what I had in it (kept the venting pipe however). Venting pipe for biomass stoves is super expensive and getting even more expensive today.

Biomass stoves are very heavy as well. I have an appliance hand truck with securing straps I use to move them.

Really not much to fail in one but the 'brain box' that controls all the firing parameters, those can be expensive but all the mechanical components like the induced draft fan and the room air fan as well as the feed auger drive are all fractional horsepower, shaded pole motors so as long as the sleeve or ball bearings are kept lubricated, not much to wear out of fail.

Latest posts

Back