Anyone familiar with this guy's exhaust work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was looking for a non-cat replacement exhaust for my Makita 6421 and this guy's small header pipes are cheaper than the OEM non-cat exhaust. He's got 100 percent feedback which is encouraging, just wondered if anyone on here had bought from him or had any thoughts on his designs. Out of Indianapolis, goes by SX Performance Parts now was chainsawperformanceparts before I think. https://www.ebay.com/itm/176021230814

Couldn't pay me to run one of those contraptions.
I haven’t found a mention of him on any saw forums, so wondered if he was a serious saw guy who was known (i.e., there was any science to his designs) or just some welder/machinist catering to a performance hungry crowd of newbies. Have seen guys come up with similar designs (the simple single port one) on some forums and claiming they worked well, but also seen more serious guys say a traditional muffler modified for good flow with suitable outlets is pretty much as good as it gets. He does have some traditional mufflers modified to dual port for various saws, just not mine. I was just going to mod mine, but more of PITA to pull the halves apart than I was led to believe. May just be patient and wait for a second hand non-cat OEM one to pop up.

I haven’t found a mention of him on any saw forums, so wondered if he was a serious saw guy who was known (i.e., there was any science to his designs) or just some welder/machinist catering to a performance hungry crowd of newbies. Have seen guys come up with similar designs (the simple single port one) on some forums and claiming they worked well, but also seen more serious guys say a traditional muffler modified for good flow with suitable outlets is pretty much as good as it gets. He does have some traditional mufflers modified to dual port for various saws, just not mine. I was just going to mod mine, but more of PITA to pull the halves apart than I was led to believe. May just be patient and wait for a second hand non-cat OEM one to pop up.
The noise alone woukd prevent me from using one. That and they just look ridiculous.

The noise alone woukd prevent me from using one. That and they just look ridiculous.
That's a consideration for me too. I do a lot of urban tree salvage and mill in my back yard at times in a residential neighborhood. My stock 880 is bad enough to inflict on the neighbors but at least it's a Harley kind of roar. Don't need to make my smaller saws sound like firecrackers. A tree service guy I get wood from sometimes has ported and modded all his small saws and they're ear splittingly loud. In a city environment, it doesn't seem good for business. But everyone here just assumes any chainsawing is going to be loud and are indoors most of the time anyway, so it hasn't seemed to hurt him.

interesting. Noise would be a little problem, but with a chainsaw... one should wear muffs (or equiv) anyway.
Another interesting aspect, the muffler is (or should be) "tuned" to the intake, transfers, etc.
Recently I worked on a old 290 Stihl. Nothing really wrong with the saw, but the muffler was falling off! studs snapped off. Nuts stripped out. replaced all that, and it started, ran, and cut like it should.
So... a open exhaust port will NOT scavenge the cylinder correctly. Or as correctly as one can get on a portable 2 cycle engine.
Look at the tuned pipes on motorcycle (and hot sawz) if you need a refresher course.

Opening the exhaust up a little on the stock muffler is about as far as I would go (my 261 rips with a 3/4" pipe brazed to it)

The non cat mufflers flow pretty good as-is. Sure it’s a bit more money but it’s a OEM part and won’t make your saw look goofy. I’m not a fan of those “pipe” mufflers if you can even call it that.
Saw those from SawAgain, will likely get the OEM 79cc kit from them too when I upgrade my saw. Hoping to find
second hand non-cat but price isn’t bad for new.

Did the OEM 7900 top end on my 6401, already had the non cat muffler being a older model saw.
It's a saw that so many people have obstinately tried to go cheaper or get a few more cc out of going to AM 84cc kit or just cheaper AM 79cc kit when there's been almost universal agreement the OEM 79cc has given much better results. I picked up the saw for $180 a few years back and have gotten a ton of use out of it lo pro milling already, so have no qualms about spending over $200 on the OEM kit. But needing a muffler and the high flo intake too adds up unless I find ways to go cheap on both. Did you do a high flo intake?

Was looking for a non-cat replacement exhaust for my Makita 6421 and this guy's small header pipes are cheaper than the OEM non-cat exhaust. He's got 100 percent feedback which is encouraging, just wondered if anyone on here had bought from him or had any thoughts on his designs. Out of Indianapolis, goes by SX Performance Parts now was chainsawperformanceparts before I think. https://www.ebay.com/itm/176021230814
Hello. It is a copy of the iron horse/pony muffler pipe. high placebo effect, nothing more.

Hello. It is a copy of the iron horse/pony muffler pipe. high placebo effect, nothing more.
I think that's the perfect description of such things - "high placebo effect". The saws make way more noise so everyone who buys them think that means their saw is suddenly more powerful. I glanced at that like 20 page thread on Ironhorse last year about this topic. There's a million people claiming magical reinventions of the wheel on Youtube for all manner of things - perpetual motion! etc - most of them fake science/scams. Had missed out on this one before.

Back