Anyone Going to GIE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone going to be in Kentucky this week at the 'Green Industry and Equipment' Expo?

I won't, but maybe AS members can give you a list to ask the manufacturer's reps at their respective trade show booths?

I'll start:

1. What's the story on Husqvarna making their own chain?

2. When will Oregon PowerSharp be available in other pitches?

3. STIHL 661?

4. Efco - what's happening?

5. And, of course, breaking news on any new, cool stuff that we don't even know enough to ask about!

Thanks.

Philbert

I am only 70 miles away but will not be going. I think in past years Fish has gone, but you may need to ask elsewhere as for some reason he is unable to post here.

OK, this thread is about a year old, so I changed to title - anyone going to GIE this year (2015)?
Almost the same questions!

1. What's the story on Husqvarna making their own chain?
2. When will Oregon PowerSharp be available in other pitches?
3. STIHL 661?
4. Efco - what's happening?
5. And, of course, breaking news on any new, cool stuff that we don't even know enough to ask about!

Except, maybe #3 should be 'STIHL 462?"

Philbert

I went to the show. Big news for me this year is the Dolmar name is gone, at least in the US. They are all now orange Makita saws. Still built by Dolmar, but all branded Makita.

Attachments

• 20151022_130747.JPG
    20151022_130747.JPG
    971.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20151022_130652.JPG
    20151022_130652.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20151022_130300.JPG
    20151022_130300.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 60
I went to the show. Big news for me this year is the Dolmar name is gone, at least in the US. They are all now orange Makita saws. Still built by Dolmar, but all branded Makita.

That's big news. Thanks!

On one had it is sad. But on the other hand, the 'Makita' name may help promote the brand and sales which would be good for a lot of folks. And the same saws will still be available for folks that like them, even if under a different name. It's good to still have two hands after using chainsaws for awhile!

Does the Oregon sharpener do the depth gauges as well?
I have no information, other than what is in the video. If you go to the Markusson site (likely the manufacturer) you will see a few different models with different features. Not sure which ones the Oregon unit will have. http://home.markusson.se/?lang=en

Philbert

Under the 'Makita' name they'll start selling at Home Depot and outsell what the few and far in-between Dolmar dealers sold. Win-win situation for Dolmar

Under the 'Makita' name they'll start selling at Home Depot . . .

Well, that's as interesting twist I had not thought of. HD will sell you Makita chainsaws now, if you beg them at their PRO or Rental desks, but they sure do not advertise that. And several HD employees have been surprised when I mentioned it to them. Their pricing is straight list, so unless you have a big gift card to use, it is usually not your best option.

Surprising and confusing that they are sticking with the Dolmar colors and the Makita name? Seems to violate all of the basic product 'branding' concepts.

Philbert

If HD does start to carry those orange Makita saws, that will certainly make them available to a lot more people. I would love to have the option, as there are no Dolmar dealers around here.

Latest posts

Back