Anyone know of a fast way to clean sticks off lawns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottawatree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Craned a double leadered 22" Manitoba maple, a 44" sugar maple, two 8" sugar maples, an 8" balsam, and 13 trembling aspens ranging from 16" to 24" today.. They were at four different sites.. Crane bill including travel time was 9.5 hours, log truck came to 2 1/2 hours, we did all the chipping and it took 12 hours off and on through out the day.. All in all pretty efficient.. Filled a truck and a pup with logs and produced around 40 yards of chips..the issue I have is the raking.. Tomorrow I'm going back to all the sites to cut stumps lower and rake up.. Ill bring one guy with me and the mini loader.. We kept stuff fairly clean in the removal process but the fact is by the time its cleaned up nice ill have another ten man hours into the job and the bill for labour raking up will cost me more than it did to pick up and remove fifty 16' logs.. There has to be a machine to speed this up, make us more efficient and save me money.. Honest to god if something was around to clean up that was as efficient as all the other equipment we have I'd give $50,000 for it..

I have a chipper vac that's self propelled. it will suck up leaves, small sticks and saw dust but we STILL have to rake. I agree that there needs to be something to do this. even if it just swept or raked it in a pile, that would be fine.

Craned a double leadered 22" Manitoba maple, a 44" sugar maple, two 8" sugar maples, an 8" balsam, and 13 trembling aspens ranging from 16" to 24" today.. They were at four different sites.. Crane bill including travel time was 9.5 hours, log truck came to 2 1/2 hours, we did all the chipping and it took 12 hours off and on through out the day.. All in all pretty efficient.. Filled a truck and a pup with logs and produced around 40 yards of chips..the issue I have is the raking.. Tomorrow I'm going back to all the sites to cut stumps lower and rake up.. Ill bring one guy with me and the mini loader.. We kept stuff fairly clean in the removal process but the fact is by the time its cleaned up nice ill have another ten man hours into the job and the bill for labour raking up will cost me more than it did to pick up and remove fifty 16' logs.. There has to be a machine to speed this up, make us more efficient and save me money.. Honest to god if something was around to clean up that was as efficient as all the other equipment we have I'd give $50,000 for it..

I've heard that treeman82 has one. I'm not sure what it looks like, but he calls it a "DF" . :hmm3grin2orange:

The only way we do it is with blowers,rakes,and elbow grease.

I use those tried and trusted methods too.....and add a good catching mower to the mix of tools.
I know mowers take up a bit of space, but for me it is fast and I usually have the space on the front deck of my trailer and the I have the mowers too as that is most of my game.
I do a bit of tree work for family and friends and some mowing customers.

just do what the crackheads do. pull up in a rotted out 1987 chev celebrity 4 door with 6 kids, the wife and some guy you met last night buying a few rocks. take your shirts off and scurry around the yard filling the trunk with the sticks, leaves and saw dust:hmm3grin2orange:

Best way is to clean up the mess as the job progresses little by little. I go at big messes with first the Broom attachment for my BMG, push that into piles, grab that with the grapple, then bust out the Grounds Keeper rakes for a touch up, that stuff onto tarps, and finally the blowers.

The more guys you have the quicker it goes. It takes us on average 15 minutes to do a full clean up back and front yard, and the street with a 3 man crew. Get the biggest rakes you can find. We use big plastic ones with very stiff tines. Start at the very back and everyone grabs a rake and work towards the front, go over it once only. Layout a 6'x8' tarp where it needs to go and pile it all on there, drag the tarp to the chipper. Once the front and back yards are all raked, we blow them off also, getting all the saw dust out of the grass. That stuff never breaks down, if you leave it on peoples lawns it will be there a long time. Then we roll the truck forward and rake and blow the street off and we're done. A backpack blower helps, or use two handheld blowers at the same time.

Shaun

I don't see a problem.

attachment.php

well that's no good. everybody still has their shirt on. how un-unprofessional:tongue2:

Raking is a classic case of subjective time versus real time. It's the last step of the job, the mess looks huge, but if you actually put a stopwatch on it it goes faster than you think it does. It kinda reminds me of when I started my first business, I just had a little 5 by 10 trailer with 4' sides. We did mostly fine pruning and would just stuff it and cut it down all day. Last stop of the day was at the dump, and we would have to just start clawing at it until we got down to the "magic branch" at the bottom that would let us slide the whole load out. My groundie always moaned, saying there has to be a better way, so one day I timed it. 5 minutes, but it felt like an hour.

All 3 or 4 crew at the back and rock the rakes to a central tarp or to the chipper. After the $$$$ you spent on equip time and the other stuff for that job, your worried about 15-30 min more wage?

And its the last impression the customer notices.

Final cleanup is key, many guys leave lots of debris on the yards, we make every attempt to make it spotless and almost always, leave it cleaner than it was when we showed up. I like the big fat green plastic rakes too, cheap and they work well. I have tried them all and the expensive ones wear out just as fast. I like hitting up the garage sales, can pick them up for a buck.

And its the last impression the customer notices.

:agree2:
The perception from the HO's point of view is different from ours .
We look at it as miniscule little PITA part at the end of the job and the crew sometimes wants to just gloss over the big stuff. Seems like no big deal after rigging down a monster with out ever touching a shingle on the roof or breaking one stem on the shrubs,but if you forget to rake even a small little area,it will look like you left a ''horrible mess'' in their eyes.

As for the how to part.We try to stay caught up on the bigger rakings as we go along on bigger jobs so there isn't 2 yds of the crap at the end.I like to keep several types of rakes because you need different ones for different jobs.Plastic for sawdust on fine short lawns and hard surfaces .Metal tines for bigger junk and tall grass.A 5 tine pitchfork turned backwards and used like a rake for gathering thick debris into a pile.

Back