anyone know what model Mac this is

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_scott

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Currently have a bid on a mac saw butnot sure of the model to me it looks like one of the following I am thinking it may be either an SP series or one of the 10-10 series saws any of you mac guys able to help identify this saw? cheers in advance

MAC

That's an early generation 5.0 ci antivibe model. They used many different paint (color) schemes during those years, so I'd have to look at it a little deeper to get a positive identification. But I'm sure it's either a Super Pro (SP) 80, SP 81 or Pro-Mac (PM) 850. Later generations of this same saw (which I'm sure the one pictured is not) are the PM 800, PM 805, Double Eagle 80, and the 8200. This was a very successful design for McCulloch which they used in all of the versions stated from the middle seventies until they went out of business in the early nineties. These models were never as popular as the 10-10 series because they weren't marketed as homeowner (firewood) saws, but were sold to loggers who demanded a lightweight, powerful, and dependable saw. These saws filled that role beautifully for over 15 years.

Thanks for the info guys. the saw is missing a spark plug lead so if I get the saw I am really crossing the fingers that all I need to replace is the spark plug lead and possibly a carb kit. I have already been bitten once buying second hand ( the husqvarna 50 episode) but always prepared to give it another chance as I really need a good gutsy saw to make up for buying the dolmar PS-34 (gutless piece of junk).

Well guys, for what its worth, here is my 2 bits.
Not an 850/800/805/700 or anything else metioned here.
I beleive it to be a SP70.
Notice the bootom handle brace (boot loop), it is classic SP series.
ProMac 570 had the flat sheet metal style bottom brace like the 800 and 850.
To my knowledge no 10-10's had the antivib system.
The super pro series did, as does the one in the pic.
Its either a SP70 or SP80 with a different color sheme than I am familiar with.

The nearest on Mikes site is the 850..SP70 appears quite different..I recognise this saw as being sold a month or two ago and advertised as an 850 at the time...price went to high for me..seller thought it was 50cc and heavy as a truck

Hi guys. It's an 850. The SP80 and 81 had no chain brake. The SP70 mentioned above is materially different, and not even close. The 850 was the last saw of this series to have the cast bottom brace (boot loop). Starting with the PM800, they had a flat steel brace with rubber grommets between it and the frame to absorb vibration. McCulloch continued to use this brace from the PM800 until they made the last model in this line...the 8200.

errol and wade it does look very much like the PM850 on acresinternet site but it is a bugger that no specs for what chain pitch, maximum bar size, and carb type are listed as I find that site very handy for looking up specs when I see something I am interested in. as for fuel mix it will have 33:1 put in it as that is the mix I like to use in my gasoline powered equipment. but first it will get a bloody good clean up

Did you win the saw auction?
Have you got it now?
If so,whats the model number from the tag inside the air box?Carb can be identified from the numbers on the side of the carb block.
I believe an 850 will handle, comfortably, up to a 28" bar. Usually 3/8 pitch .050 gauge

Auction finishes this week so I am hoping to have it with me by the end of the week (if I don't get beaten by last minute bids)

Not to be a smart alec,but a few comments.The sp 80 had no brake,the sp 81 did.

The 570 had a real wide foot pad,this saw does not.This saw has a raised portion directly under the tightening knob as does a sp 70.Due to the fact that parts have a wide degree of interchangeablity in the Mac line,I really can't tell what model it is.I can say it's a McCulloch and can pretty much say it's 4.3 or 5 cubic inchs.

Back