Anyone made a meat smoker on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am a high school student and am looking for ideas about an offset smoker to build in shop. I really like the look/idea of the one posted earlier out of a compressor i think. but i would like opinions and more detail would be helpful. thanks

Welcome!
If you want some fabulous info and forums on these, visit thesmokering.com and go into the forums tab. There is a dedicated forum on cookers, and many knowledeable and helpful folks there.

They still teach shop in high school? I thought they phased out disemination of all important information long ago.

Last edited:
thank you. i appreciate the help i'll look into that other site. ya haha our shop program is a pretty good one so its fun and you learn stuff

used an old (1950 vintage) GE refrigerator. No plastic in them days and glass batting for insulation in them. Really tough to find anything like that nowadays though.

I had a small one, wes going to build a smoker out of it, but The Missus objected. They have all porcelin-glazed insides.

People look at me goofy when I tell them this. Its pretty simple really. Light smoke for 11-12 hours adds up to alot of smoke.:clap:

I use very heavy smoke woods much cheeper than char-coal. Just rap it in tin foil after a couple hours.

I use very heavy smoke woods much cheeper than char-coal. Just rap it in tin foil after a couple hours.

Yep, there are two schools of thought:

1.) heavy smoke for a lesser time frame (works really good for quicker products such as ribs)

or

2.) Lighter smoke for the long terms stuff (Such as Pork shoulder or boston butt) Or even hole hog for that matter.

If you have ever had a "bitter" smoke flavor, be assured that it probably came from too much smoke. It can happen.:cheers:

Back