anyone regrind their own rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breymeyerfam

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone regrind bar rails using a home made rail grinder??
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ended up coming out really square. I have a couple new chains on the way, guess I'll see if it cuts straight when they get here.

I had to make do, the local dealer dont do bar work. heck, they didn't even have a tip in stock and then told me a new tip is 34.95:censored:

I have a one of those combo disk/belt bench sanders and I just set the disk rest at 90. A couple passes with a mill file finishes the job nicely. Keeping the bar rails square is something that most neglect and it realy affects cutting performance even before you notice the wear.

anyone regrind bar rails using a home made rail grinder??
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ended up coming out really square. I have a couple new chains on the way, guess I'll see if it cuts straight when they get here.

Just my 5 cents but your bed looks short to keep the bar firmly in place for the entire length of the bar. Doesn't the bar begin to vibrate when it is extended too far off the bed and you continue to grind?
Stihl is good // Jonsered is good er........:monkey:

clamp bar in vise... draw file... then use silvey bar closer

trues up and tightens up bar groove ... runs like new again

Interesting set-up. I've used a cut-off wheel in a table saw before...

I second that one. It's very fast to set up, and very easy to set to a perfect 90 degrees. I have a good Pacific 10" X 1/8" cutoff wheel that's not very aggressive at all, which makes it harder to overheat or gouge the steel. I just start from the heel of the bar and slide it parallel with the wheel, a few strokes lying one way and then a few strokes the other way. If the bar stands up on edge easily on the saw table afterwards, it's good to go. After that a few passes on the wide faces with a mill file to remove any leftover burrs on the rails.

I had to make do, the local dealer dont do bar work. heck, they didn't even have a tip in stock and then told me a new tip is 34.95:censored:

Geez, that's even more than my dealer charges in Canadian dollars (I think they're $28CDN). Check out Bailey's, I don't know what their prices are but I guarantee they'll be significantly less than that.

Last edited:

Hmmmm.... How many do you want at that price? :greenchainsaw: Find another dealer, They are $17 out here.

No bar work..??? Gheez.. worthless. Our POS bar grinder is the best generator of income in the palce

Last edited:
I have an old 8" table saw with a range of cut off metal wheels which I use purely for metal cutting. It even has water cooling although I don't bother with the water cooling when regrinding bars.

Latest posts

Back