Anyone remember Studebaker? I have a bunch....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they use a ford 289 or did they have their own engine

As Gink said, the 289 was a Studebaker designed and built engine. Studebaker debuted their V-8 in 1951 at 232 CID, it then went to 224 CID, up to 259 CID in 1955 and finally to 289 CID in 1956. This engine was the last new one that Studebaker developed (the prior one being the 169.5 CID Champion engine in 1939) and carried them through the end of production in South Bend in December, 1963. There were a limited number of Avanti engines (R-3) that were 304.5 CID and sported a Paxton supercharger.

There is no association with the Ford engine other than the displacement but Studebaker did use GM McKinnon engines in their 1965 and 1966 models (194 and 230 6's and 283 2V V-8).

Last edited:
They were quite common here in Canada as well, in fact the last one made anywhere (save for Avantis produced by another company) rolled off the line in Hamilton, Ontario, 16 March 1966. My aunt had a neighbour who had a "Lark" of early 60s vintage.

Those Avantis were and still are beautiful cars.

Last edited:
Sorry, no junkyards near my house, though I did see a buck across the street last year when I was eating lunch....

Clock017.jpg

Must've mistaken you for another member on here... Nice buck, too bad you couldn't shoot in that direction. :D

lol, smart guy. He didn't wanna wait around for someone to shoot him. :) He'll be a big buck someday.

Nice truck! What's the history behind it. Looks like it had some sort of a seal or logo on the doors.

It formerly belonged to Asa Hall, a noted Studebaker collector. Originally it was owned by the New York Department of Natural Resources (or some similar agency, I don't have the paperwork in front of me).

Only just found this thread, talk about a trip down memory lane.

Dear old Dad had a 64 Lark when i was a little tracker about 1970.
I might be able to digg up some photos, He loved it but it was riddled with tin worm so sold it for a Jeep Wagoneer.

Bit of a US car theme in our family, he still gives me heaps for buying an English car. :D

When I was born my folks had a 48 Ford sedan (moms) and dad had a 46 stud truck a tan color. Shortly after my 5 birthday dad got a 49 Stud pick up I sure didn't like it as well as that 46, we also moved to a bigger rented farm at that time. One of dads brothers who never married came to live with us in that big old 22 room house and help dad on the farm. He drove a 47 cammander that he gave to my mom when he bought a new 51 champion.The 47 cammander is just to the right of the 1953 Case VAC-U tractor in 1956. the old I think 51 ford is my moms sister's, her son is sitting on the cases left fender.

scan0001-2.jpg

Wasn't long after the picture was taken Uncle gave mom the champion and bought a new 57 mecury.
I've always wanted a super hawk or an avanti But will never relize that dream in this life time.

Last edited:
Back