Anyone Use the Good Ole Splitting Maul anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maul, wedges, sledge for almost all of it. The TB 27 ton only gets fed the tought stuff or when I am getting behind. Rather split by hand than use the splitter. Very relaxing, good exercise and a slower pace. Of course I am retired and have time to spare. Still have about 4 cords locust to do but have towait till spring now - splitting area would turn into a mud bog now in short order.

Harry K

All my ash, most oak and cherry get done with the maul, I love using that thing, everything else goes to the 27 ton Troy Built.

Been using this for the past 30 years. Quicker than a splitter and better exercise too.

Mauls004.jpg

I use the same maul, just not quite as worn in yet :) Quite a monster of a tool though...really gets the job done.

I use a maul for all my own wood. Unless the wood is twisted beech or some such I find it faster to use a maul.

Three guys with mauls will split faster that three guys with one splitter.

I am a Fiskars user. I really enjoy the exercise. There are times I wish I had a splitter, but for most wood I really like splitting by hand.

I use mine

Mine is made by Timberwolf and I love it!..seriously though I do use the fiskars if Im having "one of those days" and by the end of a session Im feeling fine again.

all the time

I use a sledge, wedges and maul, and last year bought a fiskars super splitter which I *really* like, it is a good design and they aren't hyping it, it works. I pretty much know now which chunks of what wood the fiskars can handle easy so try to use that as much as possible, it's just so easy within its design criteria framework. So far, it will split anything I can pick up and put on the chopping block. Some though, really twisty nasty stuff, I'll chunk up with the saw or use the wedges and maul, just depends on how really nasty the wood is. the fiskars is good for easy wood to just this side of nasty. Stay within that range and it is great. It's fast, I can't load a power splitter faster, I really can "john henry" beat that thing with the fiskars for most of my wood I cut.

I have one gas splitter here that my boss loaned me, but haven't used it for more than a year now (mostly needs repairs anyway, but I hardly ever used it before either, just rather hand split as much as possible..big fun for me)

I also have a simple rule with firewood, I don't waste nuthin. I frequently wind up burning an entire tree. When I saw, thumb size or larger gets cut. Anything that *can* fit into the heater without splitting gets stacked and used just like that. If I need a better balance of smaller stuff to larger, no probs, just cut more wood. The farm I am on is 800 acres, we do not lack access to cutable wood. Cutting the extra small stuff is not that much harder and I can milk a really large pile out of a tree with a tiny saw and just a few sips of mix. sawing is fun for me, splitting is fun, so I see no need to waste wood just for an excuse to run a larger saw..that's the sort of thing gives rural folks bad names in the popular press and mindset, wasting and overly polluting and stuff like that. I love nature and use nature, I see noi "profit" in abusing nature and being a jerk with what we have. Just like I won't waste petroleum fuels for "powersports" toys. I want five generations from now to be able to have some fuel. I have just as much fun going for a walk with the pets as I would making mud ruts with a engine powered toy. I use equipment, trucks, tractors, etc when they are needed, but that's it, I don't "joy ride". Boating..I've caught just as much bass running from an old tiny five horse outboard on a small boat as just about any of those yahoos with skiboats they claim are "bassboats".

anyway, back to wood:
Bigger stuff gets split. Left over branches I will wait until they are real dry, like next year, then bust them up with my hands and bring them inside in a bucket. In the summer I just stop by the brush pile and bust some for a few minutes and throw them down in a pile for the fall/winter. Takes like 60 seconds to get a bucket of dry twigs for "instaheat" fires either early AM or in the evening at dinner time when I come in.

I see some folks go to cut a tree and throw away half the wood, just abandon it or burn it in a pile, a bonfire..I just can't be that wasteful. All my earlier wood burning as an adult I cut with a handsaw, a 30" bucksaw, and my only splitter was my limbing ax, so I just learned to not waste anything, works out really well, and I learned speed and focus was more important on splitting then brute force most of the time. You get a lot more BTUs from a tree for just a scosh more of the easiest work, plus you don't have to split as much..you already get the smaller sizes when you milk a tree out.

I am not sure why people still use wedges. I tried that back in the early 70's and it was time consuming as well as dangerous. I often had to drive multiple wedges in order to split the log and had more than one occasion where a wedge ricocheted back out at me.

Unlike a wedge, I will not get hurt if I hit a log with the maul a little off kilter.

I use nothing but mauls and I am a better person for it.:hmm3grin2orange:

I just bought a Fiskars splitting axe/maul and it is OK on straght grain. Alittle gnarly and it just isn't like a 8# maul. If a big crotch is in a tree and it's going to be horrible to split, cut around it and leave it in the woods.

i still spit by hand with a 8 1/2 pound splitter but dad is trying to get me to replace it with a gas powered splitter and i told him that will make someone lazy like him :Laugh: but he keeps on to me and tells me if i keep on doin the way i do i'll be wore out before i'm 30 years old but i think i'm great shape onaccount splitting by hand

I have two, In away I think its faster than using my homemade log splitter. It is an awesome workout. I feel like I'm one tough dude until the next day my muscles are so sore I have a hard time setting up in bed.

I am not sure why people still use wedges. I tried that back in the early 70's and it was time consuming as well as dangerous. I often had to drive multiple wedges in order to split the log and had more than one occasion where a wedge ricocheted back out at me.

Unlike a wedge, I will not get hurt if I hit a log with the maul a little off kilter.

Yeah, I quit using wedges a while ago. I would use them on really tough larger rounds, but I've had too many close calls. Now, the nasty logs get hit with 35-tons of hydraulics or noodled with a chainsaw.

I am currently borrowing an old woodsplitter that is on its last leg. I have already had to replace the hoses and the coupler. It looks like the cylinder needs to be replaced soon and I don't want to have to spend that much money on a splitter that I am borrowing. I need to give the thing back before it breaks.

I want to buy the Huskee 22 ton, but I just don't have the $1000 to spend. If I spent the money, it would be next winter before I see a return on my investment as I need to split the wood by early summer so that it can properly season for the next winter. I am really thinking about buying the Fiskars and learning to split my wood by hand. I know it sounds crazy, but I am trying to make some extra money for my family without spending a bunch of money that we don't have on a woodsplitter. I am 24 years old, I could use the exercise, and I just think I ought to give hand-splitting a try. I can afford a good axe, but I'd have to go into debt to buy a good woodsplitter.

What stores sell Fiskar axes so that I can go take a look at them?

Retired the mauls...fiskars does 65% of the wood I cut and 22 ton Brave gets the rest...

Oak other than crotches 90% fiskars
Ash 90% fiskars
Cherry 50% fiskars
Elm...Straight to splitter.
other than a stray Mulberry and walnut that's most of my supply now.The funnest (if that's a real word) to split with the fiskars is Silver maple...I enjoy that just because I love to watch it get attacked with the fiskars...

I ordered my fiskars from Baileys...There's a link on this site...great service...great products...

Last edited:
use a 10# maul. use wedges only when the maul bounces off the wood or for real twisted grain. only noodle about one or two times a year if that. only problem is the handles for my maul are not commonly available (i think its a no. 2 hole) so when i find them i order a couple spares. extra good workout, stress relief, and really makes me appreciate what the wood is worth. usually put up about 8 - 10 ricks per season. often think about getting a hydraulic splitter but haven't yet. maybe some day.

I too split with a maul and enjoy it. Not selling any wood yet so I only do about 10 cords a year. Just got a couple of plain 8 pounders. Also keep a wedge on hand for the nasty stuff, but I only require it on 3 to 4 pieces a year so it doesn't see that much work. Split American Elm, Hophornbeam, Beech and all the others without issue. Then agian, after I finish cutting it all by hand splitting is the easy part.

Back