Anything In The Woods I Can Do?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if the there is any work avalible in the woods for a 16 year old operating chainsaw? I love running chainsaw, and I believe I would love working in the woods. But I was thinking I will probably have to wait until I'm 18??? Thanks to all.
Ryan

I don't see a problem with a sixteen year old running a chainsaw at all, I don't think you could get a job in the woods running a saw, you would probably be a chokerman first, like everybody else. You could probably get a job with a tree service, but you will be dragging brush more than running a saw. I suggest a job working line clearance, specifically slashing (cutting down) little trees that grow up under big power lines, I did this when I was a teenager. You will be running a saw all day, everday, great place to learn and get confidence and familiarity.

clearance said:
I don't see a problem with a sixteen year old running a chainsaw at all, I don't think you could get a job in the woods running a saw, you would probably be a chokerman first, like everybody else. You could probably get a job with a tree service, but you will be dragging brush more than running a saw. I suggest a job working line clearance, specifically slashing (cutting down) little trees that grow up under big power lines, I did this when I was a teenager. You will be running a saw all day, everday, great place to learn and get confidence and familiarity.

The reality is that no company is going to put a 16yoa on a chainsaw. Yes, a 16 yoa is quite capable of operating one and can do so safely after some training but rules, regulations and lawyers prevent hiring one.

You are right. The beginning jobs in logging are the scut work, chokering, grease monkey, brushing, etc. You pays your entrance fee before you get into the good jobs.

Harry K

I would just start spreading the word that you are looking for this type of work. I agree that not many companies would hire someone of your age. I know of a lot of cases were people have property who want to thin for stand improvement or clear brush, but when they hear the price that some of us would give they need to sit down. I'm not saying to go out and start a non legit business because that will get you anywhere but getting your foot in the door will not hurt anyone. Just use your PPE and keep it safe. Good luck!

16 y/o chainsaw

I started at that age with firewood, bucking splitting, sharpening.
Spacing and Girdling trees for contractor when 18.
Forest fire fighting when 19-21.
Tree work, sawmill and back to firewood.
I think if you're fit and safe with a saw and ppe, you'll find work.
Good luck!
I love chainsaws

16yr.old

Clearance mentioned Line Clearance,Well I`m not sure about Davey Tree. I definatly know that Asplundh and Wright won`t hire you until your 18.Not even for Groundy work,Maybe try and hook up with a property owner that`s doing some clearing on his own property.

16yr. old

I`ll tell you that Asplundh or Wright won`t hire you till your 18. I don`t know about Davey Tree.I would try to find a property owner that`s clearing some land or thinning out.

Most outfits will not put on payroll logging, saw stuff, etc... due to comp issues until you are 18. Many guys around here will hire kids to work around the shop - or grease equipment after work.

Treeblitzer said:
I`ll tell you that Asplundh or Wright won`t hire you till your 18. I don`t know about Davey Tree.I would try to find a property owner that`s clearing some land or thinning out.

a guy from davey tree smashed into brand new truck as i came around a blind curve. damn flatlanders...

Hi all,
I was wondering if the there is any work avalible in the woods for a 16 year old operating chainsaw? I love running chainsaw, and I believe I would love working in the woods. But I was thinking I will probably have to wait until I'm 18??? Thanks to all.
Ryan

I am 18 and let me tell you the best thing you could possibly do for yourself is wait a couple more years before you start doing anything serious. I dont know your background and who you are and where you have came from, but you cant just pick up your dads chainsaw, walk out into the forest, and expect to safely cut something. Everyone loves running chainsaws, that doesnt mean anything either. I am glad you have discovered a passion, but to me you seem very far away from actually achieving your dream. First of all, as said before, work hard in school and do the best you can. Cherish your education because it will help you for the rest of your life. Secondly, if you really are interested about logging, i recommend you get to know your saw and how it will react in many different situations. This takes years of experience and even the old guys dont know everything. Patience is key, and when i was 16 i thought i was hardcore and could handle anything. Once you have gotten use to your saw and know how everything works in it and what to expect when cutting, THEN you can start moving onto bigger stuff. But bigger stuff has value, and no one will hire you or want you unless you can prove yourself as a valuable asset. I dont mean to bust your bubble, but you will most likely start off setting chokers.

Also i hate this hippy nature bs when people say they think they would enjoy working in the woods. It sounds to me like you have never actually been out in the forest. Nature trails are one thing, but the forest is completely different. There are yellow jackets, VERY steep grades, and a million things that can go wrong. Not to mention that hospitals are never close by. Sure the forests are beautiful, but its HARD work.

Once again i have never met you and i shouldnt be judging you based on my inadequate knowledge, but given what i know now, i am very glad i didnt start off doing anything major when i was younger. get to know the land, your saw, and yourself and then consider working in the forest. Remember to put your school first always. Take care and good luck!

ranchjn said:
I am 18 and let me tell you .....

....This takes years of experience....

... i am very glad i didnt start off doing anything major when i was younger.

*nods approvingly* Always good to hear the voice of experience from the older men.

Yep.

Oooohhhh, I hope I didn't sound like that when I was 18! :dizzy:

:D

Latest posts

Back