Apple Hollow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virg

Reaction score
I moved into this house about a year ago and it had an overgrown apple tree in the front yard. Trying to do the right thing for this tree, but I'm finding problems with it. The biggest problem has evolved like this: I found a limb that had some bark issues and apparently some wood boring insect at about 5 feet up. I had my yard guy who does some amateur work cut this infected branch off and found that it had a pretty good hollow spot inside. (See Pictures) The yard guy gave his opinion that the tree didn't look healthy and he suspected that this hollow was widespread.

What can I do to save this tree?

How should I care for this wound?

The yard guy pruned the tree during the winter, do these summer cuts need to be treated differently?

Notice the small larva in the close up picture.
AF1QipP69fXJPjWbnYbKsHxp4Rbdv_q-jRsLcH5LbXT-
AF1QipOIeDvtjck73g7fGYD8H7I62HDGN1dhbfxlwm59
AF1QipOzkTEwQRhu0fr0dQnlgB1OSfHXB5ui-i2N1MRX
AF1QipMWA0Q6n-TqL4gYnS11mkF_eie7DR_CEg1tHWJc

Not sure if my images are uploaded correctly please tell me if you can't see them.

Thanks for your help.

I can't see the photos, but I will say that apples are very hardy and the wood is quite strong. You can have relatively large cavities and the tree is stable. If the cavities are quite large, then I would suggest you keep the canopy equally contained to reduce the stress on the stem.

Apples are prone to a number of fungal leaf diseases and can make the tree look crappy. However, it's been my experience that it takes a lot to kill an apple. An early spring spray of dormant oil and lime sulphur can be beneficial.

Hopefully we can give better advice when we can see the pics.

Latest posts

Back