Aquastat not accurate on OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The aquastat on my OWB isn't very dependable or accurate , I've tried setting it, turning it from hi to low and from low to hi , its about 10 degrees off from what the dial says but that doesn't bother me . It changes , I'll get it set pretty good and then the next time it shuts off to hi or to low . Its a honeywell brand , are they normally this hard to set ?? The other thing it does is if its close to turning on and you hit the back of the firebox with a log it kicks on , thats not a problem but I didn't no if it meant it was not a good stat. I have been trying to get it set on 180 or so all winter !!!!

Does your temperature move up and down quickly for no reason or does it move normally? Reason I ask is you mention that bumping it causes a change which would make me guess a loose wire. Loose wire can cause false readings and I had that with mine this year after 3 years off flawless service. I shut it down, loosened and tightened every wire on the control panel, per dealer instructions, and it been perfect again all year so far.

Has it always done this or worked fine before?

My aquastat does the same as yours. Well, it's consistent on the temp but does the same thing when I hit the back of the firebox. And there are NO loose wires. I think they are just touchy sometimes. It does it both ways though on mine. If I'm near my upper temp it will trip out and shut everything down like it over temped. And if it is close to the lower end or tripped out it will kick on with a good bang. Done this from day one. Dealer said it was a common problem.
The first year it freaked me out because I had no confidence that it would reset and turn on (after I'd left for work). I learned from experience though that it would reset as soon as the temp dropped enough. It has not failed me once so far. As a matter of fact it has become habit to load the thing and then (assuming the temp is right) slam the diverter rod or the door and everything kicks on. I can't count the number of times I had that back panel off that first year playing with that aquastat to get it reset though.
I guess you just get used to the quirks of your unit just like you have to get used to your wife never putting the toilet seat back up.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
It sure would be nice not to have to be so gentle when firing wood in there though, wouldn't it?

Temp moves up and down fine , I don't have any digital gauges on my unit , the temp gauge is a regular stainless steel gauge with a needle inside , the gauge has a 8'' probe on the end to reach the hot water works very nice . I just can't seem to fine tune the hi setting on the aquastat.

Geez , I no how you feel before going to work , when I first got mine going I was afraid to leave also , what if the fire goes out !!!!! just the newbie jitters I guess !!!!!!1

An aquastat is a snap action type switch since the contacts need to make full contact to complete the circuit. Any outside physical forces will trip it if it's already near the trigger point. Good luck attempting to make all the temp gauges agree, most aren't too accurate to begin with. Get everything adjusted so it works and let the dials read what they may. If the aquastat is a strap on make sure it's clean and tight with good insulation.

Its attached ( threaded) right to one of the main pipes coming out the top of the burner , I keep adjusting a little at a time trying to get it on about 180- 182 so now its around 177 so I keep turning the screw a little bit at a time and then all of sudden it jumps to 184 !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back