Arboriculture and the Soil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honestly, how often do you consider the soil when you step onto a customer's property

• Always

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Frequently

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • When Necessary

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Always - it will let you know so much about what is going on there. What should be there and what should not.

What you see above ground is merely a reflection of what is going on below.

forgot to note that I could see saying seldom if I lived in an area where it was all the same.

Here a 1/2 or 1/4 mile could mean the difference between growing in solid limestone or deep black clay. The limestone will actually have deeper roots.

While there are some areas in the vicinity with pretty good soil (former farms with a few decades of manure spreadings) most of the area has clay and high alkalinity. Poor trees.:(

compromised growing conditions is a main factor in tree stress.
We emphasize improving growing conditions with every job.
Heres how:

Written into our bid format are questions dealing with the chips generated by the job.
Do we spread them?
Do we place them in a pile for the landscape main. people?
Do we relocate them to another part of the property?

Written into our bid format are questions regarding the basel area:
Root crown excavation needed? Yes, No

And questions dealing with soil.
do we inject growing zone w/ yucca extract? Kelp extract?, Mycor? or Humic Acid?

Dragging the customer through these questions helps in my opinion to drive in the point that this stuff is essential for valid tree care.

Just us primitives here...
I use a wisk broom, hand spade, small rake etc.
I have never done anything bigger myself, but I sub out real excavations to a friend who has an air spade. He rents the compressor on a daily rate from the rental yard
frans

"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust". If any enviromental facet does not think about its roots and where they are at least momentarily, then where is the base? Where is the true starting point then?

I pull a soil sample whenever I remotely think it may prove to be necessary. In SE Wisconsin, as many of you know, the pH's are high, the phosphorus high, the calcium low, etc. I hit upon it again this morning. An older gentleman (lives on the lake, three residences - wants to save his trees, but don't bother me now - I'm trying to set up a golf date) does not want to lose the two red pine and one paper birch on his lake property.

Well, the pH is 7.4. The last time I checked, the range for red pine is 4.5 to 6.0. And of course, the birch shades both the pines, all three of which should never have been planted there in the first place.

One pine is looking fairly weak, along with the birch, while the other pine looks average right now. Without a soil sample letting me know exactly how far we can attempt to go (amonium sulfate, potash, etc.), I wouldn't be able to start helping him make the right decision.

I'll post another topic on the point that really has been bothering me; nursery's selling habits.

Gopher

"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust". If any enviromental facet does not think about its roots and where they are at least momentarily, then where is the base? Where is the true starting point then?

I pull a soil sample whenever I remotely think it may prove to be necessary. In SE Wisconsin, as many of you know, the pH's are high, the phosphorus high, the calcium low, etc. I hit upon it again this morning. An older gentleman (lives on the lake, three residences - wants to save his trees, but don't bother me now - I'm trying to set up a golf date) does not want to lose the two red pine and one paper birch on his lake property.

Well, the pH is 7.4. The last time I checked, the range for red pine is 4.5 to 6.0. And of course, the birch shades both the pines, all three of which should never have been planted there in the first place.

One pine is looking fairly weak, along with the birch, while the other pine looks average right now. Without a soil sample letting me know exactly how far we can attempt to go (amonium sulfate, potash, etc.), I wouldn't be able to start helping him make the right decision.

I'll post another topic on the point that really has been bothering me; nursery's selling habits.

Gopher

Hmm....I voted my heart - I don't always check the soil. It's not a habit that I've instilled, but it's something that I'm working on. Now that I know a tad about soil after some soil science classes, it's a little easier, but I have still dug through soil in the past month and never thought about it. Easy for me to do.

Gopher is 10 steps ahead of me on this.... Like I said in the other thread of his, I hope to one day reconcile the landscaper and treeman that live inside of me. Recognizing the soil is a step in that direction.

Thank you for your votes.

Nickrosis

I would have to say seldom since I work on a golf course, alot of good fill soil, and native clay. But, since going to school my professor is constantly stressing the relationship between soil texture, structure, and pH. Dr. Kudish, a man that trancends the boundries of conventional tree studies, he teaches a class totally devoted to the study of soils. So from no on I will start to look down after looking up.

I voted frequently.........

I think that it would be almost impossible to respond everytime, because every call doesn't deal with some pathological disorder.

Yes, I inspect the overall tree before climbing................yes, I observe for any potential problems that the customer might not be aware of...................yes, I am aware that soil problems directly translate into the trees. But if I'm going to be pruning/deadwooding an ornamental crab and that's it, I'm not going to be testing the soil pH or figuring the percentages of texture. I simply focus on the task at hand. If I'm called to diagnose a particular sign or symptom or if I notice a 'problem', then yes, the soil is one of the first places I observe!

Back