Arboristsite L@@K!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you mean if I drink myself to death the gubment wont pay for my liver transplant??

I'm not explaining myself clearly I guess. Everything is always free. But liqour and tobacco are taxed up the wazoo. So if you get sickfrom one of those activities chances are good that the gubment already made enough from taxes to cover the treatment.

If you look at it another way, if you are a junky and you stick an aids laced heroin needle in your arm everyday the government (re:taxpayers) still pays for your aids treatment and addiction treatment. Except that they didn't collect any taxes on that heroin.

You'll already have paid for it in liquor taxes, so you won't get an extra bill.

They really nail you on tobacco though...Rope, you should have seen the look on my face when I asked for 3 tins, and the guy asked me for $58.00.

They now have these cute 1/2 tins in Canada...half the depth of the regular can for only $10.50.

On the good side, the government also is much more restrictive on what manufacturers use, because it pays to keep people healthy. There are a lot of nasty additives etc that only are used in the US because other countries won't allow them.

I'm not explaining myself clearly I guess. Everything is always free. But liqour and tobacco are taxed up the wazoo. So if you get sickfrom one of those activities chances are good that the gubment already made enough from taxes to cover the treatment.

If you look at it another way, if you are a junky and you stick an aids laced heroin needle in your arm everyday the government (re:taxpayers) still pays for your aids treatment and addiction treatment. Except that they didn't collect any taxes on that heroin.

Got'cha... so judging by the fuel prices if you die in a car crash you just might break even?? :D

Got'cha... so judging by the fuel prices if you die in a car crash you just might break even?? :D

Don't get me started. We export 90% of our oil to the USA and we pay more for it than they do. The upside of being an oil producing country is that there is no mandatory ethanol.

or if you die from working too hard lord knows they made enough to pay for it.

Yeah,you think health care is expensive now,Wait until it's free.Ron

Wait until you get sick.

No family I know in Canada had to deal with bankruptcy or crushing debt on top of a bad illness.

I can't say the same about the US.

Wait until you get sick.

No family I know in Canada had to deal with bankruptcy or crushing debt on top of a bad illness.

I can't say the same about the US.

+1

I know there is a minor debate about healthcare in the US right now and Canada's system gets criticized as a way for republicans to score points in the debate. I could care less about US politics, just to be clear. So, I just want to point out that our healthcare works fine. It really is free. If you get cancer or MS, or any other horrible thing its free. We don't make people lose their houses because they got sick. It costs nothing to get the same treatment as a movie star or politician. Everyone pays nothing. Everyone gets equal treatment.

+1

I know there is a minor debate about healthcare in the US right now and Canada's system gets criticized as a way for republicans to score points in the debate. I could care less about US politics, just to be clear. So, I just want to point out that our healthcare works fine. It really is free. If you get cancer or MS, or any other horrible thing its free. We don't make people lose their houses because they got sick. It costs nothing to get the same treatment as a movie star or politician. Everyone pays nothing. Everyone gets equal treatment.

Solid post there....sounds pretty good,actually.

+1

just out of curiosity, what is your income tax rate?

just out of curiosity, what is your income tax rate?

ranges from 0% to about 46% depending on what you make I think?

edit
this is a little more accurate:
Federal tax rates for 2009 are:

* 15% on the first $40,726 of taxable income, +
* 22% on the next $40,726 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $40,726 and $81,452), +
* 26% on the next $44,812 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $81,452 and $126,264), +
* 29% of taxable income over $126,264.

Last edited:
people here in the us that make 40k a year might be shocked at how little they actually pay.

people here in the us that make 40k a year might be shocked at how little they actually pay.

that doesn't surprise me. those are only federal income tax rates though. There is provincial tax on top of that but its a lot less than the federal. Plus, we get all kinds of write offs just like in the US.

not true. in Newfoundland also
Hey, what about the Yukon!!! More bevies consumed per capita than anywhere in Canada, but they have the best health care in Canada, plus we get a northern living allowance, ha ha ha. So we got the better gubment!
BTW, I didn't know Fish was a self proclaimed gearbox. Fish, snap out of it!
Gypo

I think here in the US of A

People have been brainwashed into thinking that there is always a long wait for healthcare in other countries.. I think this has all stemmed from doctors that are afraid they will not be able to charge astronomical rates for even the simplest of office calls and procedures. Heaven forbid a Doctor would have to live on less than a cool 2.5mil a year huh?

that doesn't surprise me. those are only federal income tax rates though. There is provincial tax on top of that but its a lot less than the federal. Plus, we get all kinds of write offs just like in the US.

One thing that surprised me when I moved to the US was that the cost of going to university was not deductable. When I was in Canada, you could deduct the full cost of tuition, plus a generous allowance for books etc.

Latest posts

Back