Are plastic clamshell saws worth pimping out ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbear3

Reaction score
I ended up with this ms 311. Looks like doneone ran straight gas in it. I could get away with honing the cylender and slapping a new piston in it. I'll do a little port and polish either route i go on this saw. Im thinking about geting the bigest topend that will bolt up . I see these huge top ends with everything dirt cheap. Are they any good ? They all say if they fit your more popular stihls but dont mention the 311. Even if this saw isnt worthy of pimping out these top ends are so cheap it wouldnt cost any more to go this route than throwing a stock piston back in it. Has anyone done this ? Does anyone know what will fit the ms 311 ? Or does everyone think i should just throw a stock piston in it and run it ? My other question is what is the deal with these knock off saws. Alot of them look lime they were built witb husky or stihl parts. Sone look exactly like a 372xp. And these others that dont look like a name brand saw but they look good. And tbe specs look great. And weve seen the prices. I tried asking Iowa performance saws about these things, and he said he didnt want to give me free advice. I was excited to talk to someone that really knows saws. I work on everything. I really enjoy working on saws and outboards. I want to learn alot more about the saws. Theyve been my bread and butter since i was 12. Thank you guys in advance.

My 2 cents...a 311 with a cleaned up OEM jug and a Hyway piston is a 100%-known-quantity which can be pretty easily sold off. And, that's what I'd do.

There are a ton of posts on this site about the China saws.

Roy

I ended up with this ms 311. Looks like doneone ran straight gas in it. I could get away with honing the cylender and slapping a new piston in it. I'll do a little port and polish either route i go on this saw. Im thinking about geting the bigest topend that will bolt up . I see these huge top ends with everything dirt cheap. Are they any good ? They all say if they fit your more popular stihls but dont mention the 311. Even if this saw isnt worthy of pimping out these top ends are so cheap it wouldnt cost any more to go this route than throwing a stock piston back in it. Has anyone done this ? Does anyone know what will fit the ms 311 ? Or does everyone think i should just throw a stock piston in it and run it ? My other question is what is the deal with these knock off saws. Alot of them look lime they were built witb husky or stihl parts. Sone look exactly like a 372xp. And these others that dont look like a name brand saw but they look good. And tbe specs look great. And weve seen the prices. I tried asking Iowa performance saws about these things, and he said he didnt want to give me free advice. I was excited to talk to someone that really knows saws. I work on everything. I really enjoy working on saws and outboards. I want to learn alot more about the saws. Theyve been my bread and butter since i was 12. Thank you guys in advance.

Although I have been in tree service work since 1991 I don’t spend much time on this site…often have too much on my plate. So what is meant by clamshell plastic saws? Since 1991 I’ve had two Poulans, I have had six Echo was, seven Stihls, one Jonsered, two Tanaka limbing saws, one McCulloch 610 Timberwolf and now use a DeWalt 20V for a limbing saw. This year bone marrow cancer has had me out of work since March but since September I’m feeling better and trying hard to regain my health.

Back