argh! stupid ethanol... ways to keep from blowing up small engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Woodchuck, thanks for the formulas. What's the source of your info? I'm looking to shore up a plan to make my own. Just want to do the research first. Thanks!

can you go through the procedure for doing that? If its that easy I will do it

Sure thing Dude, although I thought l already did ........
Its super easy, and all you need is to be able to shake up everything several times untill the whole thing turns cloudy, and also you must allow the mixture to sit a few days so it seperates.

Hardest part ?? Removing the water at the bottom, and getting the gas without getting any water.

My solution ? 2 parts

A) For the initial experiment I used a 5 gallon plastic water jug and drilled a 1/4" hole into it near the rolled flange at the bottom, about 45 degrees. Most of the water will come out first, then gas will stream out and the water will dribble. This allows you to catch just the gas. Near the end, be carefull about the condensation on the inside of the jug. It will drip down into your gas, even after you remove most of the water. Most of it will just dribble without streaming from the hole. Throw out the last few ounces, you will have a mix of seperated gas and water, but this crude way of putting good gas in the can forces you to discard the last few ounces so you wont put any water into your good gas. I still had to use my blowgun/siphon to remove a very small amount of pooled water from the gas can when I was finished, that was easy.

B) For the future, I am building a simple trap system. Not a "P" trap (like under your sink), but more like a commercial kitchen grease trap. Remember water sinks to the bottom and gas floats, so the gas will float over the trap and the water will sink in the trap. I will still have to discard some gas, but this will be easier than watching 2 or 3 gallons piss through a 1/4" hole. Pour or let the gas/water (seperated mix) go into the trap, and collect the gas off the top as it drains out into a metal gas can that can be easily sealed.

Here is a link to my initial post outlining what I did ;
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/218391-3.htm#post4072253

Last edited:
Here ya go bro..the whole truth..and noting but the truth...:laugh:Sometimes might want to read all the threads.Posted this on page two...I believe.

What I do..Make my own.. Basics...Alcohol is an octane booster,approx 2.5 points.Use 93...93-2.5=90.5 octane.
I use an old glass 5gal carboy.Put one qt of water..fresh!not salt.....Mark the spot where the water sits with a marking pen.Down to the station,put in 3gal of 93.This will mix the alcohol and water an instigate phase separation.Cover the container,let sit in a shady cool place.Have a few beers with the bros....Come back in a few hrs.Now you will notice that the water is cloudy and well above the line that was marked.So......Ya all still awake?.128fl oz in a gal x 3 =384oz 10% of that is 38.4 oz of removed alcohol....You've got straight 90.5 gas.
Can I tell the difference..not really..Better safe than sorry though... Had to reset my carbs...

cheers

Hi woodchuck - This post of yours is what got me spunky enough to try it myself ........ THANK YOU !!

Unfortunately, I has a few problems ...... mine didnt mix so well the way you outlined, so I had to shake it up a few times untill it all was cloudy.
Second problem was the gas station attendant told me to NEVER put gas into a "non-approved" container again, or they wont allow you to get gas.

Unfortunately, I has a few problems ...... mine didnt mix so well the way you outlined, so I had to shake it up a few times untill it all was cloudy.
Second problem was the gas station attendant told me to NEVER put gas into a "non-approved" container again, or they wont allow you to get gas.

I'll put water in first,then gas on top.That gets it mixed really well.I see your in NY..wondering if the temp has any influence on mixing?Good idea with the trap.:msp_thumbup:Might be an idea for a commercial venture..A sellable kit for removing alky..

Latest posts

Back