army 6x6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerhenry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
have a 1944 diamond T 4.5 ton 6x6. was a wrecker, now has no bed, runs and drives well. 5 speed, 2 speed transfer case, front pto winch (needs work), rear pto tandem dual. flathead straight 6.
i need it to go away. anybody interested.

pics? this interests me greatly, I've been wanting a 6X6, but I will probably wind up with an M715 for a truck.

I'd love to ahold of an M932A2, but I'd settle for an 800 series 5 ton. Those 800 series 5 tons are very similar to the Duesce, except that it has more power, hualing capability, and, most importaly, power steering. It still has a multi-fuel engine and all the trimmings.

hey shtoink, why not buy that deuce thats for sale up near you? every time i head over to tacoma i drive past it.. drooling.. out near the gun shop/jimmy D's diner. been sitting there for YEARS. with an ugly yellow/orange color

Yeah, I keep looking at that thing and thinking of the possibilities...

There is another one up the hill that's a tanker and painted a bright yellow with a heavy coat of grunge and crud. It's sitting on the side of the road and have wondered if the guy that owns it might part with it.

If I got either one, they'd have to be done up in OD green, though. I'd do my best to get them painted up with CARC. (Checmical Agent Resiant Coating)

I spotted another miltary vehicle in a guys mini automobile graveyard, but there's a tarp covering most of it so I haven't been able to identify it.

I figured if I was going to get serious about getting a truck like that, I'd just head out to Ft. Lewis and pick one up from a DRMO auction or something. The ARMY usually has a pretty steady supply of these waoting to be unloaded.

Could you imagine the temptation of being in one of these 6x6 trucks in a traffic jam? It would be very hard to resist just driving over everything in my path. I remember the "respect" from others you would get when driving one of these around. You always had the right of way... Always...

even though it wont do 60, its still got a good 20K pounds on most vehicles on the road. that alone commands respect from people. if I were driving an M35 on the road, I'd be not stopping at ANY lights, just plowing through traffic. hey, wouldnt an M35 make a GREAT snowplow truck? pretty much unstoppable, and more powerful than most vehicles other than semi tractors. this is why I'm buying the M715, its smaller and more practical, I dont need no 6x6, the neighbors would have my head on a pike.

i could really make you drool.. theres a UNIMOG out here in poulsbo.. i helped a neighbor lady with her paper route a few sundays because she cant lift the bundles anymore.. and half way through the route.. i see this truck.. oh ???? theres a UNIMOG! they look pretty neat. i still like the old US mil trucks better.. back when my dad was in the army in the late 60's his buddys decided to test those multifuel engines with a few gallons of aftershave.. still ran on it and claims it smelled pretty good too..

When I worked for the DNR in MN, I drove a 6x with 2000 gal. of water. 45MPH on the high way was top speed empty or full. That SOB would go anywhere. We use to push over burning snags with it rather than cutting them. I uprooted trees as big 12" in diameter with one. Teh one I drove had a split rear end in it.

oldsaw-addict said:
even though it wont do 60, its still got a good 20K pounds on most vehicles on the road.

My M931A2 would do about 80 or so. When the needle pegged out it was straight down, but the truck kept accelerating. Mind you, this was the tractor portion of the truck minius a trailor. This allowed the truck to really move, since it was a bit lighter that the other M93x models. The other cool thing was the secoond 50 gallon fuel tank which gave me a range of a little over 300 miles.

As for the knocking over trees... I did that too. It was in the manual and you had to test that sort thing out, you know. ;) All you had to do was engage the low setting on the transfer case, engage the 6x, drive up the the tree until the bumper was touching, and floor it. Very fun!

I lso took my truck out to some deep mud holes for some "wading". That crap almost came up to the windows, but the truck kept right on going through.

Back