Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed very much the first part of this thread, where Art described the logging in the old days... what a tough way of living that must have been. And how technology slowly changed the industry.

As far as chainsaws are concerned, I almost laughed my hat off when he mentioned
"The gear ratio was 3:1, so the chain speed was so slow you could almost file the chain while it was running"

great way of making your point... :clap:

thanks for sharing this great story with us, Art !!!:cheers:

I enjoyed very much the first part of this thread, where Art described the logging in the old days... what a tough way of living that must have been. And how technology slowly changed the industry.

As far as chainsaws are concerned, I almost laughed my hat off when he mentioned

great way of making your point... :clap:

thanks for sharing this great story with us, Art !!!:cheers:

I agree. Not everyone is willing to share what he knows and that's a damn shame. Art Martin's contribution is a help to anyone willing to take the advice and make things better for himself.
Thanks again, Art. Hope things are going well for you. :cheers: Bob

I agree. Not everyone is willing to share what he knows and that's a damn shame. Art Martin's contribution is a help to anyone willing to take the advice and make things better for himself.
Thanks again, Art. Hope things are going well for you. :cheers: Bob

Art lives about 1 hour from my cabin and I get to visit with him throughout the year. You should see his chaisaw shop built onto his home. It's really nice. Last time I was there he showed me the wood, I guess you'd call it a bucking saw sharpening holder. It is really cool the way you can change the angles for sharpening the teeth at a comfortable position. He even has a machine that puts the grove in bars and many other pieces of equipment that he has made for working on saw chains and making bars. Art's a real nice guy to talk with and is loaded with talent, you should see the oil paintings that he does, wow!

Gotta go...
jerry-

Art lives about 1 hour from my cabin and I get to visit with him throughout the year. You should see his chaisaw shop built onto his home. It's really nice. Last time I was there he showed me the wood, I guess you'd call it a bucking saw sharpening holder. It is really cool the way you can change the angles for sharpening the teeth at a comfortable position. He even has a machine that puts the grove in bars and many other pieces of equipment that he has made for working on saw chains and making bars. Art's a real nice guy to talk with and is loaded with talent, you should see the oil paintings that he does, wow!

Gotta go...
jerry-

A few pics would be nice. :cheers:

Man........ :( I saw this thread back up and thought Art might have finally made a new post.

Art I know you still read here, we would love to have you back to share some knowledge and spin a yarn or two. :cheers:

Mr. Martin, thanks for the reply.

Do you have anything you have been working on in the past year or two that you could post? I.e. New chain grinding stuff, new jigs/fixtures, etc?

I always enjoy seeing what you have to post! :cheers:

Metals406,

You asked if I had been involved in any projects during the past few years. Well, yes I have. My most recent project was to help a friend who lives in Cottage Grove, Oregon. I let him borrow my modified P52 to use in the 5 cubic class at various contests in California, Oregon and Washington. I supplied all of his racing chains for the other classes as well. He sent me a letter when the racing season was over, stating that he had won a total of 26 first places in the 5 and over, 6 and under and the 6 and over classes.

Also, I redesigned the profile of the chisel bit teeth with good results. They cut somewhat faster than the other teeth. Also it is undetectable and can’t be copied by my adversaries.

The reason I stopped posting for quite awhile was that I just got tired of being put down for writing my thread. It appears that Darin has put a stop to this nonsense by banning those responsible for this negative behavior. Now we can continue with the Arboristsite for the purpose that it was intended--which was a learning venue.

I often receive question asking for my opinion on various racing chain subjects. I will continue to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Art Martin

I Read it all worth the time

I just read all of this thread, man its long. I'm not into racing but loved the pictures and the stories of how it was. Thanks.

WOW!!!
What a thread!!! I was just into sawing firewood to heat the house and have become very interested in chainsaws now. I never thought there was this much info out there. I love chainsaw and history. Art Martin is an absolute history book with a VAST wealth of information. It is people like him that help the younger generation like me learn so much!! I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for all your posts and the effort you put into this thread. You are THE MAN!!:hmm3grin2orange::yourock::cheers:

Back