Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals406,

You asked if I had been involved in any projects during the past few years. Well, yes I have. My most recent project was to help a friend who lives in Cottage Grove, Oregon. I let him borrow my modified P52 to use in the 5 cubic class at various contests in California, Oregon and Washington. I supplied all of his racing chains for the other classes as well. He sent me a letter when the racing season was over, stating that he had won a total of 26 first places in the 5 and over, 6 and under and the 6 and over classes.

Also, I redesigned the profile of the chisel bit teeth with good results. They cut somewhat faster than the other teeth. Also it is undetectable and can’t be copied by my adversaries.

The reason I stopped posting for quite awhile was that I just got tired of being put down for writing my thread. It appears that Darin has put a stop to this nonsense by banning those responsible for this negative behavior. Now we can continue with the Arboristsite for the purpose that it was intended--which was a learning venue.

I often receive question asking for my opinion on various racing chain subjects. I will continue to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Art Martin

Thank you. It's good to see you back.

Metals406,

It appears that Darin has put a stop to this nonsense by banning those responsible for this negative behavior. Now we can continue with the Arboristsite for the purpose that it was intended--which was a learning venue.

Art Martin

I sure have tried but they can still manage to sign up some how. One of the guys claims he has 70 aliases. In the meantime they sent out a letter complaining to all the sponsors on how poorly the site is run and how they got kicked off for no reason. HAHA. The guy who complained even had a part in there where he said he was going to change his helpful pictures into advertisements. I guess I can't see why I didn't keep him on here. LOL It was the first time I had been on the site and can see why. Glad to have you on here. Hopefully the advertisers will read through the lines on how the rat pack behaves on other sites and on this one in the past. I have no problem with them personally, it's just that they can't behave. That translates into me being a jerk I guess. Thanks for spending your time here.
BTW Do you know ever happened to Walt Galer? He was a great guy to have around.
Take Care,

Metals406,

You asked if I had been involved in any projects during the past few years. Well, yes I have. My most recent project was to help a friend who lives in Cottage Grove, Oregon. I let him borrow my modified P52 to use in the 5 cubic class at various contests in California, Oregon and Washington. I supplied all of his racing chains for the other classes as well. He sent me a letter when the racing season was over, stating that he had won a total of 26 first places in the 5 and over, 6 and under and the 6 and over classes.

Also, I redesigned the profile of the chisel bit teeth with good results. They cut somewhat faster than the other teeth. Also it is undetectable and can’t be copied by my adversaries.

The reason I stopped posting for quite awhile was that I just got tired of being put down for writing my thread. It appears that Darin has put a stop to this nonsense by banning those responsible for this negative behavior. Now we can continue with the Arboristsite for the purpose that it was intended--which was a learning venue.

I often receive question asking for my opinion on various racing chain subjects. I will continue to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Art Martin

Awesome! Glad to hear your saw's and chain are winning races! :clap:

If you have any new pictures you would like to post, I'd love to see them! :cheers:

I did a lot of "fast tracking" through this thread(mostly skiping hte BS stuff) but wow. Art you are an amazing man of the woods and the saw. The things you have learned over the years are amazing and I've always respected my elders and truly belive the title "The Greatest Generation" is best fitted. I wish I could hear about all the things my two grandpas had done and built and made over the yeras in well drilling and earth moving. The stories I hear from them are priceless. I've saved a number of "tech" post you have had for future reference and look forward to hearing more and more about logging and chains and sawing.
Thanks

Trbo

I don't get on here much anymore, but it's certainly nice seeing that Art's thread is still active after all these years. Here's a picture taken six years ago to the week when we all visited the Rupleys in Placerville and the Martins out in Sacramento, California. Pictured left to right are myself, Art, his wife Marita, Mike "Rupedoggy" Rupley's wife Caroline, Bobby "Rotax Robert" Andrews of Predator fame and John "Gypo Logger" Lambert.

Keep up the good work, Art!

Doug,
Nice to see that you still read the Arboristsite threads. When you, John, Robert and Dennis flew into Sacramento, we all had a good time at the Rupley's sawing. I wish we could it again. I really appreciate the pictures that you posted for me and all the work you went through getting them done. I guess you and I are still the only members of Arboristsite who have ever flown on the Concorde (SST). The cost for the three hour flight from London to New York was around $10,000. Now the plane is in a museum--never to fly again.
Best regards,
Art

The SST is the Air Space Museum on 42 St, NYC. I pass everyday on my way home from work. It's out at the end of the pier parked next to the "Intrepid" which is an aircraft carrier. I'll try to get a pic someday and post it on this thread. Good to hear form you Art. Hope Gypo and Rotex are staying out of trouble since they aren't hanging around here any more. You too Babcock must be proud of starting one of the best if not thee beat thread on this site. :clap:

I just talked to Art last week, he's doing ok. There's a couple old boys in that picture I miss having around here.
Just talked to Rotax this after noon hes doin all right gettin ready for show season to start in May. Told him about the PNW get together but he has a log show that weekend.

For Doug, Art, Gypo, Rotax, Dennis

Now the plane is in a museum--never to fly again.
Best regards,
Art

You guys posts rocked this site. :clap:

As I stated there she is, at the Air Space Museum on 42st NYC. Sorry so far away but the parking is bs around there. It was a drive-by.

sst002.jpg

sst001.jpg

Well memories are sometimes better that what really took place. I will say that my memories of that time are sweet. I don't think we can ever do it again because I don't have the burn barrel anymore! (That is a kind of inside joke that refers to Gypo disposing of some unusable under garments.) Mike

Well memories are sometimes better that what really took place. I will say that my memories of that time are sweet. I don't think we can ever do it again because I don't have the burn barrel anymore! (That is a kind of inside joke that refers to Gypo disposing of some unusable under garments.) Mike

He never could hold his blackberry wine... :)

This is a picture of my friend, Kenin Dunnavin, who lives in Oregon for whom I have made racing chains for the past two seasons. He competes in Oregon, Washington and California. He wrote and said that he won 26 first places last year and for a total of 48 first places during the last two years.

Art Martin

This thread is by far one of if not the best thread I've ever seen on AS. Keep posting Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Art

Thanks for sharing your skills and stories! There fantastic! :cheers:

If I may ask?

Have you ever ran round filed chain for work chain?

I tried to run square filed chain as work chain, but admit to my laziness and always seem to put on a round filed chain in the field.

If you had a chain filing school, I think I would attend!

This thread is by far one of if not the best thread I've ever seen on AS. Keep posting Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding... I just sat down and browsed the first few pages for a couple minutes, and suddenly I look at the clock and it's three hours later! I'm not one to sift through old threads by the hour, so I'd never seen this one before today.

Back