Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FSburt,

In response to your question about heavy leaners, we left a lot of them because of the eminent danger of barberchairing and/or no "layout" to save the tree. Large virgin Redwoods don't hold up well spanning the bearings without breaking. We didn't fall Redwoods that were under 6' dbh.

Art Martin

Mr Martin, first a thanks for all the history and pictures, i love that stuff. :rock: :cheers:

second, when you were topping off those big giants, how do you deal with the trunk springing back as all that weight was released? i was 80' up today, dropping a 12" x 20' long limb, and maaaan did that tree move sideways as the weight was released. I cant even imagine working on those big giants you were on!!!

:jawdrop:

Manual,
I got started sharpening crosscut saws much later than the 50’s. I had the opportunity to spend a week in Olympia, Washington with Martin Winters who was the expert saw filer of those early days. He filed saws for almost all the world champions from the late 30’s until he retired. His saws usually won first, second and third places at all the major shows. He was also a major contributor to a book that was sold through the Government Printing Office “How to Sharpen a Crosscut Saw”. He taught many people such Ron Hartel, Paul Searls, Sven Johnson as well. He made them raker gauges that were calibrated to certain numbers not thousandths. I’m enclosing a picture of the gauge he made for me. The sloped part of the gauge is set at a constant 17° and the gauge itself is set on number 9. For instance, on a certain saw for a certain sawyer, it was marked 7X8 or 9X9 depending if the sawyer pulled a flat saw or rocked it. Also, he would have a 9X8 for the “lead” where one side of the raker was higher than the other. For instance, he would have the middle raker the same, say 8X8, then going toward the handle side, the front part of the raker would be higher than 8 with the following side of the raker being 8. This allowed for a bigger bite. Then going from the center raker to the other end, the same setting would apply but in reverse, the front point of the raker would be slightly higher than the trailing side of the raker. Unless you had one of his saws, you wouldn’t have any idea what the rakers would be set at. He handmade the gauges and matched each gauge to a master gauge so they would all read the same. There is much more to the entire procedure and many steps involved, such as jointing, setting, swagging and straightening the saw. A whole series could be done on this subject.

Art Martin

SRT-Tech

I was never a climber or topper so never experienced the kick-back and swaying of the tree after the top portion was cut off. although watched it many times. The tree would sway for a half an hour.
As a firefighter I climbed the 100' aerial ladders and that was sort of hairy at first when you looked down and the truck looked as small as a Tonka toy.

Art

Very impressive Art.
I know I have sharpened band saw blades using off sets, so I can understand some of what you are talking about.
How do you go about swagging ? Hammer and Vice?

I sat down and read this thread, way over my head, just nice to just be around it, thank you. You are the man.

I just want to say WOW I can't believe the MAN is on this site! If I was interested in building a race chain let alone learning the best cutting techniques.I would thank you soooooo much for providing all this top secret material for us rookies. that being said I love the history lessons. I have many people in my family that worked under the same conditions that you have written. I know a good cook that cooks wild game every year and he worked in a lumber camp. I love to see him he always has a good recipe for whatever I hunt or shoot! I can honestly say the pictures and history you have shared have changed my life. The massive trees and the conditions you worked in have me in awe! I can say PLEASE don't let people with big ego's let you from responding to their petty remarks and let all this information flow. I know whenever you race something people get caught up in it. I have seen that at my young age and I get frustrated too. I can say that at 10 hoursto complete a RACE CHAIN you have the knowledge and know how that many of us can only dream about so never sell yourself short. I enjoy the pictures and the history part more than the I know beter than you nonsense. I can't say I knocked down half the diameter the trees you guys did and with a crosscut saw too boot. I am a young guy but many In my family have provided food for all of my offspring by cutting and log driving or cooking or climbing or skidding and in some cases snowplanes were a bit part also. we had alligators in my area big tugs with huge paddle wheels to climb up on land if the need be and that worked great at the time their were no roads! Everything went along the rivers. I will tell you that just the history alone you have left a good legacy here and I will chanlange anyone who opposes your views, period. I am a second period machinist apprentice and I know a bit about pefectionism if thats a word. One day I will duplicate your chain and it will be all CnC grinders and machines that are computer operated. I know this sounds lame but I can do anything manual as well. or as they say OLD SCHOOL why? because I love the challenge. If it takes you 10 hours to complete a race chain than maybe I can do it in 20 or 30 until I figure out what you are up to. I don't argue with success. The trophy's that you have are impressive to say the least. I am glad you can share all of this knowhow with us rookies. Thank you for your time patience especially and courage to state your own mind. Peace!

Mr. Fish

I had an old friend who started logging up in Oregon way back in the 10's and 20's. He was in his mid 90's when I knew him and he's been gone for quite a while now. I never knew his first name, to me he was just Mr. Fish. Its funny to hear this generation of "old guys" talk about how tough it was to lug those big Mac's in the woods. Old Mr. Fish said he had been logging for nearly 20 years when he saw his first chain saw, and he said none of the loggers liked them because they were too slow and heavy anyway. He had stories of dropping trees with crosscuts, axes, and even sometimes dynamite.
He used to think it was funny that I competed with crosscuts and axes. He would say "why the heck would you want to do that for fun if you don't have to?" I remember he had half of a broken crosscut saw that spanned nearly 15 foot across his living room wall and it looked like it was the small half. Some times I wonder if anyone competing in timber sports today could have kept up with any of those guys, even the "slow" ones.
The old guy had some great stories and I miss talking to him. Art, keep those old memories and photos coming, I really enjoy them.

Sean

Last edited:
Hey Huskydave,
I feel the same way, I wish more people out there would support the sport like Art has been doing here.
I like to examine his tooling, I started making a chain mandrel on my spare time, Might get it done next winter now.

Spare time,,,,

Hey Huskydave,
I feel the same way, I wish more people out there would support the sport like Art has been doing here.
I like to examine his tooling, I started making a chain mandrel on my spare time, Might get it done next winter now.

Where did you find that!!!!!!! LOL :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Realy good stuff Art - regards Matildasmate

Since this thread has been bumped up, I thought it would be a good idea to put to rest something that apparently bothers a few people who have been trying to discredit me. First they attack me on my chains, then my crosscut saws, then my friends and finally my age. How low can you get?
I have been getting disgusting, filthy and offensive emails from Tom Fales, Jr., sometimes on a daily basis. Some of it stems from my mentioning that I once filed crosscut saws for Mark Etcheberry. He calls me a liar and doesn’t think that ever happened. Well, I filed saws for a lot of people and didn’t necessarily care what their status was as to being famous or not, I treated everyone the same. I respect people who go on to be outstanding in their field but still remain humble. I believe people who have attained some notoriety should not become narcissistic and push their emotions and sentiments onto others who just don’t care and aren’t interested.
I will post the letters from Mark Etcheberry for everyone to see and they can judge for themselves the credibility of these few people who have managed to damage this fine Arboristsite.
Later I want to again re-open the subject of full house chains since there has been doubt put on it’s ability to cut as fast as I claim. This probably will again affect the credibility of some so-called “experts” on the site. So be it. I stand behind all the articles I have submitted in the series on race chains. Why wouldn’t I, since I have over 45 years of experience.

Art Martin

Hi Art Top thread top read sad to see a few clowns get nasty anway keep it up regards Matildasmate Manfred

By far one of the very best threads ever!!!

I've been reading this thread for quite awhile and its amazing the dedication Art shows in his work and throughout his life in the saw feild. This thread is more less a lifetime of work. High five to you Art and keep this thread going, its like reading a real good book. Years of wisdom given for free is as good as it gets Art, glad you share your wisdom, good man and good job!!!

Thanks Art

I have very much enjoyed this thread. A lot of the technical parts about racing chains are way beyond my knowledge base, but interesting all the same. I especially enjoy the old pictures. I hope that we can see more of them. JR

Bump

I read it some every week-I know I learn some from it-but still feel I know less when I finish-its amaze'n one man can know so much about a racing chain and still be will'n to share with all of us

Back