ascending systems (marbar)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alloutdoorsboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there guys, new to this site so hope this isnt rehashing old stuff. OK so I picked up a Marbar ascending system on ebay out of curiosity and just love them. I tend to do mostly big Wrecks (take downs) and am pretty well set up for it (I think) with 18" drum chipper ,chip truck,12000# knuckle boom tsm wheel loader and a bobcat mini loader. The marbars enable me, paired with the bigshot, to get to my tie in point in minutes safely and easyly. As I have gotten used to this method there is still one little nagging worry in the back of my head, Allbeit a small and probably unlikely worry, so if Im 50' up a 70' pull I cannt go back down quickly and easily. Dont know why this bugs me so bad but it does, one scenario occures to me, BEES. As most of you have Ive run into bees more times than I want to and know the shear panic that hits when a swarm of white faced hornets starts to tear you up. I heard of a climber that chose to jump 45' onto concrete, he had multiple compound fractures in both legs but lived!!
Ill post some of my experiences later. so my question is " Does anyone have a system of maybe replacing the top ascender with another device so you can come down?" Ive tried a grigri and a shunt but dont like them. Anyone tried a TRE???????????

Any input appreciated Paul

set your throwline with a bigshot as you normally would. attach a pulley to one end of a climbingline, put another line through the pulley. Haul the pully up to your tip and tie off the other end to a porta wrap and tie it off. make sure that the line with the pulley on it can be lowered to the ground with enough extra for the porta wrap (2X the height of the tree). climb on the line that is through the pully as you normally would. If you need to be lowered in an emergency your ground personell can handle it.:yoyo:

That's a good name you got there new guy!!!....Anyhoo,I never cared much for the marbar.I prefer to footlock.I tried that rig once,but I'm nearly twice as fast footlocking..But that's just me,every situation is different just like each individual preference is different....Use what works best for YOU.

There are a number of SRT setups that allow for a quick exit.

One was just described...a floating false crotch.

There are other ideas in this article:

http://www.************/pdf/SingleRope.pdf

Anchoring the rope at the base of the tree and using a rack as a belay tool to lower the climber is one of the most effective systems I think. There are other belay tools available but each of them have limitations that a rack doesn't.

There are two very BIG concerns about using SRT or a floating false crotch. You have to account for the load multiplier when you set them up. Using SRT with th anchor at the base of the tree you will double the load on the branch union/TIP. Using a FFC your load will increase between two and three times depending on the particular setup.

If you used a Unicender you could lower yourself off of SRT without any changeover. http://www.************/forum/showf...&Words=unicender&topic=&Search=true#Post78499

Thanks for the responses, has anyone tried a lockjack?? Seems a little more compact than the unicender and is cheaper.

I tried it a sherril today liked it but have never used it in a tree or for a limb walk. Would be curious to see how it pefroms salesman told me that it does tend to creep down when there is no preasure on it. I liked it though would really think of getting one. I use a Micro and a martin now and that works pretty well.
Jared

Thanks for the responses, has anyone tried a lockjack?? Seems a little more compact than the unicender and is cheaper.

totally different devices, lockjack is used with a DRT set up while the unicender is used for SRT

Hey magnum783 whats a "martin"

a friction hitch that is basically a blakes hitch with both ends of the hitch secured.

I haven't found any rope creep with the Lockjack. My worst complaint is that with a rain soaked line (velocity) the release is sometimes a little jerky. For long ascents I use Mar-bars and tie in the Lockjack on the ground. When I'm up I unclip the marbars and the ground guy pulls the tail and the Lockjack comes up ready to clip in. The Mar-bars are energy savers if you have a long unincumbered climb. I found that I was spending extra time on line placement and at times using the best TIP for the Mar-bars rather than the best TIP for working the tree. I probably use them 10% of the time.
Phil

I use my MarBar top on a regular basis. I'll work myy way up, sometimes trimming as I go. Often, as stated above I will use the easiest crotch to get into the tree then reset after doing a little work. I've never been big on single tie-in's and move my TIP regularly anyways.

Quite often I will get to the first good limb then tie off my VT and work my way up. On TD'd I may even haul a rig-line with me a dn open up some space as I go to set my block

try using a seperate line for the mb bring your climbing line with you, for the emerency tie into the top pair and lower down from there, credit to mark moeske all mark tree, a comp climber.

Latest posts

Back