ash shovel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a ash bucket and shovel kit that I got at TSC for around 25 bucks last yr. well once that thing gets hot even a little bit it starts bending..and im afraid its gonna break. I move all the big hot coals with my poker to other side of insert and then get the ash and some smaller somewhat hot coals in each scoop then do the same thing vise versa on other side. but the shovel is so flemsy now its to the point of no return. what or where can I get a good shovel and even an ash bucket for that matter that can with stand some heat ..

Nomak,
I can't remember where I got the ash can I use but the shovel I use for the hot coals is the one that came with a fireplace set I purchased. The set included a stand, brush, poker and shovel. It wasn't an expensive one, maybe purchased at a Home Depot type place or maybe even Sears.

Nomak,
I can't remember where I got the ash can I use but the shovel I use for the hot coals is the one that came with a fireplace set I purchased. The set included a stand, brush, poker and shovel. It wasn't an expensive one, maybe purchased at a Home Depot type place or maybe even Sears.

well honestly I could probablly use a hole new fireplace set as well.. mine was a cheapo I bought when I was out of work.. and the poker is always coming unscrewed on me and shovel has same issue with bending when it gets a little hot but not near as bed..so maybe thats what I need to do is invest in a better quality fireplace set..thanks...

well honestly I could probablly use a hole new fireplace set as well.. mine was a cheapo I bought when I was out of work.. and the poker is always coming unscrewed on me and shovel has same issue with bending when it gets a little hot but not near as bed..so maybe thats what I need to do is invest in a better quality fireplace set..thanks...

I have the same problem with the poker I have. It is always trying to come unscrewed. My old set was the same way.

?? if you have access to a welder/torch i would make my own!! you get what you want and have the pleasure of doing the work/fun with the knowing its done right!! just my way of thinking???

I like this idea, but if it is not doable go to a flea market and buy an old set that is old already and will still out last you. Don't make em like they use to.

I have the same problem with the poker I have. It is always trying to come unscrewed. My old set was the same way.

I purchased a great set from LL Bean. They will warranty everything and have great customer service.

No shovels from LOWE's!

A VERY HOT TIP:
Do NOT get a shovel from LOWE's the first shovel or basically the whole tool set may burst into flames when stuck into the fireplace. I was shoveling the ash and some small hot coals into a ash bucket and luckily the shovel burst into flames inside the fireplace and not over the rug or in open air.

The other tools still smoke & smell like they will flame up so I do not use the tongs. I burned the paint off the poker rod.

I like this idea, but if it is not doable go to a flea market and buy an old set that is old already and will still out last you. Don't make em like they use to.

Yep. I have an old coal scuttle and the shovel that went with it. I don't use them. Myusing one is also out of set that has cracked and will bend even looking at it...but then it is umm..?1985?...old. Of course my stove has an ash pan so I don't have to shovel hot coals.

Harry K

Ash Bucket

I use a metal 5-gallon old tar or paint bucket for my ash bucket. Been using it for at least 7 years now. I remove the ashes from the stove put them in that bucket and set the bucket out on my porch which has a concrete floor. The next day or two I empty the can.

Nosmo

My poker came from my dads old cool furnace. I cut it down to about 2 ft long. My stove has an ash pan so my shovel is just an old coal shovel that the handel broke from and did some fabbing to make it a little smaller.

Funny thing, I saw my poker only before I cut it hanging on the wall of a Kracker Barrel Restaraunt.

I use a metal 5-gallon old tar or paint bucket for my ash bucket. Been using it for at least 7 years now. I remove the ashes from the stove put them in that bucket and set the bucket out on my porch which has a concrete floor. The next day or two I empty the can.

Nosmo

Steel buckets ain't pretty to look at but they darn sure work!

The wife brought home one of those yuppie box store fireplace sets a couple years back.

The ash scoop was so flimsy it went to melting halfway through cleaning out the stove, and then the goofy Coal bucket looking thing burst into flames on the hearth, and stunk up the whole house with toxic fumes.

Meh.
Got a small square spade with a 1/4 handle from the Feed elevator and torched the paint off of it for ash, and grabbed a stack of steel buckets from a local Woods(Alf Woods;)) Ag impliment dealer. I let the wife hide the uglyness if we have company over, but they look fine to me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Your ash bucket must have flamed up more and smelled worse than my ash shovel did:hmm3grin2orange:.

My yelling for help sure woke my wife up in a hurry though!

Keep The Bucket Outside

I keep that 5-gallon can out on the front porch not in the house by the stove. When it comes time to remove ashes from the stove I reach out on the porch to get the bucket then put ashes in it and carry it back out to the porch to let any coals burn themselves out for a day or so before dumping it.

Nosmo

Please make sure the ashes and embers are truly extinguished. The guy next door to our cabin thought the embers from his OWB were cold from the previous day and dumped them on a pile of leaves, Guess what we nearly lost our cabin when part of our woods burned down. Thankfully the DNR fire dept is .25 miles away.

I use an old coal hod I got from an antique store. Its plenty heavy to handle a full hot load of ash. :)

Same deal-e-o here. 'cept mine was from a barn sale. Shovel and bucket, $3.

It's past barn sale season now - but something to look out for come spring - or at indoor fleamarkets.

This is what I use got it at the local hardware. Look at a real hardware they should have it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I keep that 5-gallon can out on the front porch not in the house by the stove. When it comes time to remove ashes from the stove I reach out on the porch to get the bucket then put ashes in it and carry it back out to the porch to let any coals burn themselves out for a day or so before dumping it.

Nosmo

I keep ours empty by dumping it as soon as it gets used. Between the sand and the snow there's less fire hazzard away from the house.;)

I was busy FILLING it at the time the cheapo paint cooked off. LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back