Ash vacuum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had the need for one

I would just get a steel ash can with a lid. and shovel it carefully into the can then transport it outside.

My wife got me one for a Christmas present the first winter I got my fireplace insert. I'd made her a deal that I would keep the hearth and everything spotless. The darn thing is so loud, I can only use it with earplugs. Have reverted to the old shovel and galvanized can. Works just fine. Save yourself the $200 dollars and put it toward another saw. :greenchainsaw:

Best of luck with the decision.

P.S. The hose is so small that it gets clogged up pretty darn easy with coals and nails (if you happen to burn the occassional scrapwood as I do).

Rigid shop vac from Home Depot + Gore shopvac filter (HEPA and washable made of Gore-Tex w/1 year guarantee) from Lowe's + extra 25' of hose.

Shopvac outside, hose through the window. Make sure you have no coals.

Good for sheetrock and fiberglas dust too

Rigid shop vac from Home Depot + Gore shopvac filter (HEPA and washable made of Gore-Tex w/1 year guarantee) from Lowe's + extra 25' of hose.

Shopvac outside, hose through the window. Make sure you have no coals.

Good for sheetrock and fiberglas dust too

+1 a dedicated shopvac is the tool of choice for me too. :cheers:

Anyone use them? Are they worth the $200+ price tag?

I have one that I picked up at a yard sale for $10.

I don't use it that often though -- only when the fire has gone out and everything is cold (just to be safe), and I want to get those pesky stove-interior front corners a bit cleaner than I can do by "blind brushing."

I prefer my fireplace-tool shovel, brush, and covered metal ash can -- especially if the stove/ash pan still has some warm coals.

So for the way I use it (occasional touch up cleaning when cold), there are probably better alternatives. But at the price point I found ($10), it's good.

Definitely not worth it for $200, though, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back