ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
framecat

framecat

ArboristSite Lurker
Cantoo we got some wind and cold down here today. I was thinking about your mill is it a swing blade or band mill suppose to warm up this weekend and I am gonna mill up that big ash I can't wait. I bet you are getting ready to try yours out .

cantoo

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Bit of a snow storm where I am tonight. I work away from home all week so I'm in a motel in Orillia about 3 1/2 hrs north of my home. Tomorrow night I'll be 4 1/2 hours away and near Peterborough. That's part of the reason why I have so little time, working on the road can be a hassle. It's a band mill, a Woodland Mills HM 130. And it's under a tarp now and will likely be there until at least next spring. I'm going to be cutting a bunch of cedar logs so I can make some fireplace mantles to hopefully sell. That might make my wife a little happier she can at least see a few dollars from the mill. Cedar is nice and easy to cut too. I'm going to cut a bunch of 6x6x 16' cedar posts for a building over it but she doesn't need to know that yet. :) Happy milling.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is my pile of ash 10 to 17 years dead and standing in a low area. Dried enough this summer I was able to get in there to take them down.

Still nice and tight growth rings no punk at all.

Fellow I met at a car show this summer was real proud of his beds floor. It is Ash he took to a mill and had cut off his farm.

Got us to talking about the Ash trees, he like me has a bunch of seedlings about knee high and really thick growing in the woods.
He had much the same thing go on in shis woods as I did. All the ash were hit with in a 3 year time frame could see wilted leaves the first year the next spting lots of suckers developed. They tended to wilt and die on year 3, by year 4 they were sheding top branches and by year 5 no branches left.
By year 6 many started falling because thre root system had rotted and could not support the trees in a wind storm.

Year 7 I started cutting the fallen stuff first for fire wood and then if i needed more I would then drop what I needed.
I am just about out of the dead Ash big enough to make splitable fire wood. Have some live trees about 4 to 6 inches in diameter yet.

:D Al

framecat

framecat

ArboristSite Lurker
:chainsaw::chainsaw:Cantoo nice you got to fire up the mill good work and thanks for the pics I really want one and woodland was one of ones I was interested in its a lot of work you can make it chain drive with a power steering pump and a small gas or electric motor and a spool with return dogs to pull your boards back to you their use to be one on YouTube it's a real work saver that's how I am going to set my mill up what about blades did one cut all that are you going to buy a set tool and sharpening set up or get them sharpen by some one? Life got in the way of my milling this weekend I am recovering from a long illness so the shop is so covered up and of course everyone is a little upset so I have to work all weekend ug.love the mill

Latest posts