aspen tree usage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have 50 to 80 large aspen trees that are on the ground and in the way. what should i do with them. i know they are not very good for firewood. should i cut them up and sell them as camp wood or is it a waste of time?

If they are in your way you might as well use them to get something out of your labor.

Generally frowned upon by burners but its heated well & burned for hours in my catalytic stove. Your results may or may not be the same depending on what your burn in and your btu requirements.

It has been quite warm here this winter and while at home I feed the furnace with popple/aspen, prolly burned two cords of it this winter. They won't last long on the ground.

i have 50 to 80 large aspen trees that are on the ground and in the way. what should i do with them. i know they are not very good for firewood. should i cut them up and sell them as camp wood or is it a waste of time?

Hi Skidoo:

Popple (actualy Poplar) is a local term in the upper midwest for Quaking Aspen or Trembling Aspen. It's considered a hard wood, but not very dense. It rots very fast once it hits the ground. I burn lots of it because it's available. I have to feed the stove a little more often, but no real complaints.

Don <><

Last edited:
Cuts fast, splits easy. Burns cheap.
Makes for quick warm ups in the mornings, keeps the chill off in the shoulder seasons, and can be run when it isn't real cold to save the Locust and Red Oak for when the BTU's are needed.

It's free....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hi Skidoo:

Popple (actualy Poplar) is a local term in the upper midwest for Quaking Aspen or Trembling Aspen. It's considered a hard wood, but not very dense. It rots very fast once it hits the ground. I burn lots of it because it's available. I have to feed the stove a little more often, but no real complaints.

Don <><

Quaking Aspen/Quaking Poplar is usually just called "Poplar" around here too.

If its still solid , burn it ! If its kinda dozy push it out of the way and let it rot . It won't be there for long

Back