At what point do you consider a saw no longer OEM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Lets start this off as this is just YOUR personal opinion on saws and NO answer is right or wrong. Just curious as to when you consider a saw no longer OEM/Original?

I personally consider it still OEM even if it is not using the original:
spark plug
air filter
fuel filter
plastic covers
hoses
seals
bearings
bucking spikes
bar
chain
clutch drum
starter rope and handle

There are just to many good aftermarket parts that are as good or better than the original ones put on the saw. Yes I know there are worse also. The point of this is when do you personally consider a saw no longer original? Example being you are going to buy a used saw, what all does it have to have for you to consider it original.

Plug, filters, bar and chain are consumables. Fuel lines and crank seals as well. But I like to stay OEM parts on those for longevity.
I generally agree with your list.
Outside of that, anything aftermarket on a saw should be simply "OEM except", unless it's an aftermarket saw with some OEM parts.
A saw doesn't magically become not OEM just because it's had parts changed. Just like my 04 F250 is still a Ford even though it has a Cummins in it.
Now trying to say those aftermarket parts aren't what they are and sell them as OEM, that's a whole different ballgame

Back