Attention Slowp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Well since you are the sitting fashion and fragrance expert here at Arboristsite, I thought I'd fling this question your way.

What in the way of potpourri would you recommend for the water pot on the stove? Something long lasting and colorful in the water would be nice. I kinda like Sandlewood and the orange/ginger combination. We've tried the fragrance oils, the kind you heat with a tea candle, but they come on strong and then fade out pretty quickly.

awaiting your expert opinion... :D

Ian

Your over thinking this, just eat a bunch of apples and spices and take a dump in it:)

My wife will throw cinnamon sticks and orange peels in. That seems to smell nice(at least to her) the kids and I don't seem to care either way

Potpourri
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Pot-Pourri (disambiguation).

A PotpourriPotpourri is a mixture of dried, naturally fragrant plant material, used to provide a gentle natural scent in houses. It is usually placed in a decorative wooden bowl, or tied in small bags made from sheer fabric.

A dried rose. Dried flowers are a common component of potpourrisNaturally scented plants used in traditional potpourri include:

Cedar wood shavings
Cypress wood shavings
Incense-cedar wood shavings
Juniper wood shavings
Lavender leaves and flowers
Mignonette leaves and flowers
Pinyon pine cones
Rose flowers, hips, or oil
Cinnamon and Cassia bark
Marjoram
Jasmine flowers and oil
Much modern potpourri consists of any decoratively shaped dried plant material (not necessarily from scented plants) with strong synthetic perfumes (and also often strongly colored dyes) added, with the scent often bearing no relation to the plant material used. Sometimes, items which do not originate from plants are mixed in with the potpourri, to give it bulk and to make it more aesthetically pleasing. It is possible to spray scents onto potpourri, however a fixative is needed so that the scent is absorbed. Generally, orris root is used for this purpose.

The number of plant species used in potpourri is large. Researchers have identified 300 species from 95 families, including fungi and lichens. A few toxic ingredients have been found, such as fruits from Strychnos nux-vomica, the strychnine tree.[1]

Potpourri is used to give the air a pleasant smell. Potpourri is made by mixing oils, leaves, and/or dried flowers. When prepared, the mixture is enclosed in a bottle or jar, and allowed to sit for several weeks. During this time, the potpourri may smell rotten, however it soon improves.

The word potpourri comes from the French word "pot-pourri," which was the French name for a Spanish stew with a wide variety of ingredients called olla podrida. In English, "potpourri" is often used to refer to any collection of miscellaneous or diverse items. Literally, however, the word "pot" in French has the same meaning as it does in English, while the word "pourri" means rotten. The term "rotten pot" probably refers to some fermenting which may enhance the natural fragrances of a potpourri's ingredients.

A potpourri vaseIn ceramics manufacturing, a potpourri vase is a vase specifically designed for holding potpourri. In the traditional designs a potpourri container is provided with a pierced fitted lid, through which the scent may slowly diffuse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potpourri

2 stroke racing castor. It'll make your house smell good and if you open your windows you'll be able to attract every ex bike racer within a few miles. Then you'll have someone to drink beer with and tell big stories.
Phil

My wife puts some kind of potpourri in it, can't tell if it smells any different though. the water does get to lookin nasty after a while. If it was just me the rusty water would be what i have. They make scents that you pour into water that might do the job. BTW You have a very nice stove.

My wife will throw cinnamon sticks and orange peels in. That seems to smell nice(at least to her) the kids and I don't seem to care either way

We keep a 3 gallon cauldron on the stovetop to put moisture in the air. My wife likes to toss in cinnamon. Makes the kitchen smell like apple pie even when the oven's empty. (I keep opening the oven door to check the pie's progress only to be disappointed that there ain't nothing there. :()

+1 My wife also puts some sort of oil in the water that smells like fresh oatmeal cookies (pisses me off), it gets me every time I come home.

Water. Just plain water scent. Otherwise I start having sneezing fits, go home and suck down zinc stuff because I think I'm getting a cold.

Besides, here in the PNW we don't need no stinkin' humidifiers. We got a natural humidifier called constant drizzle.:popcorn:

Back