ATTENTION - ***Stickies - your thoughts please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't really mind having the stickys at the top, but I thought that there should be a good reason for having them there. Most of them were rather pointless, but I do think the most popular and useful ones should remain. Now there's just another button to click. Do you have any idea how much extra energy and time that takes?!?:msp_sneaky:

Not as much as I've spent de-cluttering a couple of the smaller posts in there! If I were out of cold beverages, I'd call it a night for sure!

Progress is like cutting with an old C-series Homelite, frustratingly slow, yet somehow still satisfying.

I much prefer the clean look with the stickies stored away neatly.

As for new folks, they'll still find the information they want by using the search, or by starting a new thread. Just like when the stickies took up half the screen.

I could see folks complaining about moving the stickies in the chainsaw forum because a lot of those sticky threads are still in regular use.

Whew - time for a beer break and let my fingers cool down.

That and go pay for the new pair of "extra" chaps I just got on eBay!

Did you wear those things in the winter?

I find I stay way warmer if I put pants on instead of chaps while cutting in the winter

1+
Steve, Congrats on being a mod. :msp_thumbsup: There is more to it than meets the eye.. :bowdown:

I like the looks of the cleaner page. Before we would go right down the the second page for the new topics and pass right over the sponsors. Keep in mind, the sponsors help pay of this site.

I much prefer the clean look with the stickies stored away neatly.

As for new folks, they'll still find the information they want by using the search, or by starting a new thread. Just like when the stickies took up half the screen.

I could see folks complaining about moving the stickies in the chainsaw forum because a lot of those sticky threads are still in regular use.

Hi,
I much prefer the cleaner look with no stickies, but i would be happy enough with 2 or 3 . This is my second time with the site, I was on two or three years ago and lost touch (shame on me!) and it does seem that stickies had got out of control when I rejoined.

Good work on doing the moderation job, these things only exist if good people put work into them. Good job mate!:msp_smile:

Congrats!!
It definitely looks cleaner. As long the new members are directed there it should work out.

I've got a lot left to do, haven't really made too big of a dent there yet. Hope to get done before the end of the week when I take a little vacation.

This sticky should be in with the other sticky's

It'll come down in a bit, just pretend it ain't here till then.

the stickie craze

the thing that drove me crazy was the stickies on every page. i didnt mind them on the first but the 2nd 3rd etc was too much. i like the idea of the new posted stickies flipping back to the main page and going back to the stickies after 7 days without new posts. and thanks steve for the time your putting in. a good mod goes a long way.

Hey everyone, how about a great big "attaboy" to Steve for all the thankless work and hours he's put into making this a more usable forum?

Thanks, Steve. You da man. :msp_thumbsup:

Hey everyone, how about a great big "attaboy" to Steve for all the thankless work and hours he's put into making this a more usable forum?

Thanks, Steve. You da man. :msp_thumbsup:

Two words: Brown. Noser.

Seriously, it's not hard work, just gives ya a migraine now and then. I kind of enjoy it though.

If you really want to thank me, send beer to:

Steve NW WI
123 CAD Drive, Apt Woodshed
Firewoodville, WI 99999

:givebeer: :msp_biggrin: :D

Nope, no brown showing. I know what mods have to put up with. Sometimes you just want to ban everyone and start with a clean slate. Yer doin' just fine, keep up the good work. It may be illegal to ship beer across state lines.

Well, left unchecked it's only a matter of time until stickies will grow in number until they dominate a page and outnumber current topics. I personally don't like them, and feel that a sub-forum is the best idea. IMO, if a thread is all that popular, it shouldn't need a "sticky" designation in the first place. If it's active, it will remain on the first couple of pages on it's own strength. The sub-forum isn't like being banished to a dark corner. It's just another forum that you click into. I feel that page one of the forum should be kept fresh and excessive stickies just clutter it up.

But I realize that some guys like them and therefore some compromise is in order. I don't think ideas like "7 days without a post" will work all that well, because such threads will likely be bumped to keep them active, and will do little to keep the overall number of stickies down. I'd suggest a 2 prong approach. One, there should be a minimum number of stickies that can appear at any one time on the forums first page. Say 5? Two, after a fixed period of time, 2 weeks maybe???, they all go to the sub-forum. That gives it the time to grow a following of it's own.

Well, left unchecked it's only a matter of time until stickies will grow in number until they dominate a page and outnumber current topics. I personally don't like them, and feel that a sub-forum is the best idea. IMO, if a thread is all that popular, it shouldn't need a "sticky" designation in the first place. If it's active, it will remain on the first couple of pages on it's own strength. The sub-forum isn't like being banished to a dark corner. It's just another forum that you click into. I feel that page one of the forum should be kept fresh and excessive stickies just clutter it up.

But I realize that some guys like them and therefore some compromise is in order. I don't think ideas like "7 days without a post" will work all that well, because such threads will likely be bumped to keep them active, and will do little to keep the overall number of stickies down. I'd suggest a 2 prong approach. One, there should be a minimum number of stickies that can appear at any one time on the forums first page. Say 5? Two, after a fixed period of time, 2 weeks maybe???, they all go to the sub-forum. That gives it the time to grow a following of it's own.

Good policy for social stickies. Information stickies won't see a lot of new posts. It all comes down to the mission of the forum.

I think Steve kinda likes it since it has his name on it (somewhere).

Latest posts

Back