atv pallet trailer???? or a better way??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to build a trailer that will allow mw to pick up and move a pallet loaded with wood.

has anyone done this or have a good way to store and then move an amount of wood to the house in winter?

I am trying to avoid picking wood from a pile then onto a cart every day or two and I have seen pallets be used to stack wood then moved with a bobcat ect but i have no real loader so my atv is my only real option.

Build a trailer like they use to move propane tanks. You know, the one's that straddle the tank and winch up, drop, unhook, pull carrier over top of tank. You could use some of those old tote racks like the one below for the wood cage, just take the plastic out and reinforce a top picking eye. Have 2 or 3 loaded up, when one is empty, fire up the 4 wheeler and go hook another. If you were closer I'd build the carrier trailer and give you a half dozen of the totes! Patent Pending lol!!! Don't laugh people, I know where you live and where you keep your saws!!!!!!!!
:cheers::cheers:
totetank.jpg

portaband-1.jpg

It could get pretty heavy, just keep that in mind. A pallet or bin that is 4x4x4 could weigh up to 2000 lbs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I will just build a small trailer that can slide apart in the middle so i can slide the raer wheel under the pallet and then attach the front wheels and then have a way to lift it up with a long prybar .

I will draw and post a pic so you can see what i am trying to say.

something like this only a bit larger. or build a box that can be up on the trailer and dump as you drive away. As you can see it would be easy to make it to dump to pull away as you will load it with the bed on. with an angle on each side for the bed to rest in when dumping is would slide right out.
This one easily dumps this, making a couple of wood containers gives me some ideas.
As you are interested in just moving wood pallets, the need to have it so high like mine for dumping dirt and moving logs, it would be tucked down in between the tires so the tilting mechanism wouldn't be nearly so steep. That little boat winch is amazing, I never figured it would work as well as it does. It has certainly been handy around the house.

Last edited:
with the bed on. You can see that it could be lowered some eight inchs or so. With the slides extending to the rear enough to touch the ground, it wouldn't try to flip backward when unloading. And of course the bed could be much longer. This one is designed to tip up at a high angle so dirt and such will dump easily.

For as long as I was growing up til now that I burn in my own home I've never known anything for moving wood besides a tractor and wood wagon. That probably isn't much help, sorry.

Back