ATV skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber jul

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone use a ATV for light logging, or skidding? I set mine up so I don't have to carry the chainsaw, gas, oil, chains etc. It is amazing what size wood they will pull though. I will post picts as soon as I get them on my computer.

I use my atv to haul firewood out of the woods. Fabricated chainsaw and oil carriers. Haul about a face cord of wood on the trailer, probably pushing the recommended load a little bit.:)

Is that an Arctic Cat? Do you like it? Any complaints? Im looking into them but havent ran into anyone thats ran one.

Yes, it's a 500 manual trans Arctic Cat. I like it. 3000 miles and no problems. Haul wood, plow snow and cut the grass. Does have the ACT rear axle, not the independent suspension.

View attachment 33566

View attachment 33567 I don't beleive they sell ArticCats here yet. But here's my atv, a trx350, has over 20,000klm on it now and has not given me any probs yet. the trailer carries 4 saws on top (two 385's and two 3120's) also have room for one more 385 inside along with enough fuel, oil and water for the week. I have a supply of files, grease guns, wedges, sledge hammer and a couple of axes stored in there as well. On the front rack of the bike the tool box has a uhf two-way radio along with first aid kit, tool kit for the saws along with a few bits and pieces of saw parts. also has room for my lunch as well. I cut cypress pine for the local saw mill. A couple of mates call it the mobile saw shop :laugh: they might have a laugh at times but when they have a break down,,,,,, It is 200km to the nearest saw shop in town :laugh:

Arctic cat

Heres a picture of my Atv/ skidder I haven't pulled much with it yet but it has oddles of power and torque.

DanManofStihl said:
Heres a picture of my Atv/ skidder I haven't pulled much with it yet but it has oddles of power and torque.

Nice. That's the exact 4-wheeler I would love to have some day, except in the dark green. It does say '500' on the front view picture doesn't it? What year model is it? Is it the manual shift or the automatic?
I've never owned a 4-wheeler, but have rode quite a few different makes. What I've researched so far, I think I like what Arctic Cat has to offer in a 4-wheeler compared to Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki.

Kevin

Arctic cat

It does say 500 on the front it is a automatic it is 2006 model. It is a great four wheeler it has 195 miles on it.

I picked up a 96 artic cat 454 4by4 for 500.00 bucks.Next to BEER it's the best money i've spent.It's unreal what that thing will drag out of the woods.

PA010101.jpg

I have a 2001 Honda Foreman TRX450ES.. Amazing machine. It can haul anything, it has around 13,000 km's on it and only minor/routine repairs.

I'd highly recommend Honda for any one looking for a durable workhorse. Other companies produce flashier machines with more bells and whistles but most 20+ yr old machines you see are Honda's. They are fairly simple in some aspects, but if you treat them right they will last.

I use my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 for getting my firewood. I was going to make a log dragging trailer. One that would lift the front of the logs off the ground so I could pull them better.

I've just been blocking the wood up into 16 to 18 inch length and putting them in my 17 cubic foot (3' wide by 5' long by 1' or so deep) $200 Home Depot trailer. My father and I are going to build a heavier duty trailer. Probably 3.5' wide, 5' long and 1.5' deep with racks to make it 3' deep. We're going to use small but heavy duty ATV tires. I think I like using the trailer better then dragging the logs for two reasons. 1- Once I get to my truck the logs are already blocked up and ready to be split, 2- by not dragging the logs they don't get dirty and my chains stay sharp A LOT longer.

I like seeing other people's set ups though. The more ideas the better! :cheers:

Nice to see the "cats" getting the respect they deserve.I have an '01 500 that just won't quit.Great for those tight spots.1500# winch really worth the investment.Plowing snow,moving gravel,topsoil..great little machine!!Also helps dragging those whitetails out of the woods seem like...well not much of a drag at all!!:rock:

Suzuki Twin Peaks

I use a Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 automatic 4 x 4. I has a 2500lb winch mounted on the front. I used a big dolly to make a trailer. It hauls an unbelievable amount of weight. I also use it to haul brush out of hilly areas to the chipper. It clauses next to no damage on the grass. Alot of times you don't even know it was in the yard. Great investiment.

Frog

artic cat tbx

this thing is awsome in the woods and it wont quite(500 auto tbx solid axel) I have a smalll trailer and a home made arch to haul out the trees.

ASEMASTER!

How do you like those GBC gators? I have them on my 2001 Honda Foreman TRX450ES and I am very very happy with them. I go through stuff in 2 wheel drive that my buddies barely make in 4 wheel.
They are a super tire in my opinion. I like how they have a similiar design to tractor tires, so they shed big pieces of mud and therefore clean themselves easier, giving you more traction. How old are yours?

I use a 1992, 3.0 liter, V6, Isuzu Rodeo. Out works any ATV. Paid $500, beats the heck out of a $6000 ATV. When I get the extra wing on the barn built, I will take the sawzall to it and "Rodeo Topless". Will sell the windows and doors for more than what I paid for it. I can also take 4 people "ATV ing" , all with seatbelts.

Mounted a steel plate in the back and a winch to that. Doubles as a wannabe skidder!

I think I was reading too may back issues of the Farm newspaper and got all kinds of ideas for using cheap and on hand stuff.

On the left is my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4. On the right in my wife's 2002 Suzuki Ozark 250. I'll get more pic's next time I use them.
DSCF2817.jpg

you cant beat them

ASEMASTER!

How do you like those GBC gators? I have them on my 2001 Honda Foreman TRX450ES and I am very very happy with them. I go through stuff in 2 wheel drive that my buddies barely make in 4 wheel.
They are a super tire in my opinion. I like how they have a similiar design to tractor tires, so they shed big pieces of mud and therefore clean themselves easier, giving you more traction. How old are yours?

they are 2 years old and I hung up my chains. I use the machine to plow my 1000 ft, driveway and it's up quite a hill.

Back