ATV Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could not really tell you. I built those myself to meet our needs. The first one had a solid steel deck but it was a little heavy. Dad uses it out on the farm and its good where he goes. The second was a expanded mesh just like the sides. Tandem 2000 lb hwy axels, springs, attaching parts rims and tires was @ $500
Seems to me at the time I would have needed $1800.00 cdn to sell it with labour and materials. But you know how the labour goes on the home built stuff.
If you can't roll your own, I'd ask a trailer mfg about putting a tandem axel under one of their lite utility trailers in something about 5 by 8' ft. I could have added electric brakes, but they are really not needed where I go.

I would not recomend it for use in the mountains, but it is surprizing how easy the wheeler handles 1500 lbs on grades of 15% or less.
Ken

here is what i use, got it from northern tool. took a good amount of work to get it to be up to par but i wont use anything elce.

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

on the cheap..harbor freight 4x8

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

unless you are going through some really really deep stuff this works good for me. I haul the wheeler to the woods load the truck, play with wheeler, haul wheeler home. has a dump option too makes it a little easier.

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

unless you are going through some really really deep stuff this works good for me. I haul the wheeler to the woods load the truck, play with wheeler, haul wheeler home. has a dump option too makes it a little easier.

You would be surprised how much better a tandem axel makes it hop over downed logs and other such obsticles. Especially with the atv style tires.

When you cross such a obsticle the atv only has lift the load 1/2 as high for the tire to jump up on top of the ledge, tree etc. Load bounces around less and pulls easier.

I see no reason a trailer like your could not be easily modified by adding a second axel though.
Ken

Around here you can find old boat, jet-ski, motorcycle or other trailers really cheap or free, gives you a good base to start with making your own. Here is mine that started off as a 3 slip motorcycle trailer, load limit 1500 lbs. We cut the 3 slip rails up and made the outer and side frames with that angle iron. All I had to round up was some plywood and bolts.

trailer_400.jpg

4wheeler_haulin.jpg

Well I got lucky. A while back I bought a baja bug and somebody had put a ball hitch on it. Crazy right?
7b86_3.jpg

Well I pulled it off. Later I sold the bug and today I saw the ball. The shaft on it is just small enough to go thru the pin hitch on my 86 Yamaha Moto 4.
That takes care of all my problems because I have 3 different trailers I can now pull. I can't believe I did not think of that earlier.

Well I got lucky. A while back I bought a baja bug and somebody had put a ball hitch on it. Crazy right?
7b86_3.jpg

Well I pulled it off. Later I sold the bug and today I saw the ball. The shaft on it is just small enough to go thru the pin hitch on my 86 Yamaha Moto 4.
That takes care of all my problems because I have 3 different trailers I can now pull. I can't believe I did not think of that earlier.

mmmm boy does that look like a bunch of fun!

I bought a trailer from Fleet Farm for $399.00. It will hold my 750 Suzuki King Quad ATV. It came with some low sides. I put some cheap 2 foot high OSB sides on it and now it will hold more than one full face cord of wood. It says it will hold 1500 pounds, but I've had more than that in it (not on the road). I pull it everywhere with my ATV. Check out the trailers at Fleet Farm. They seemed to have the best prices when I was checking for a trailer.

I don't have any experience with the ATV trailer from HF, however I would be cautious about it's rated payload. I have a garden cart that was rated at 1000 pounds and I don't believe I've had it loaded with half that and managed to beak all the wheels and destroy most of the bearings.

I have since replaced the rear 13" tires/wheels with 15" lawn tractor front tires, a longer axle and new quality bearings. I'm waiting for the front tires and matching spindles to arrive (God bless E-Bay) and I'll fit them in front.

The bottom line- Look closely at the quality of the wheels. You might end up doing something similar to what I had to do.......

I looked around high and low for a good quality ATV trailer. I finally built this unit. In fact I have built (3) different trailers, all for moving wood and stuff around the house. I wasn't paying big bucks for JUNK.

This one has a Dexter axle and wheels I bought off Ebay. The box is 36" wide x 72" long and 25" deep. It perfectly holds enough wood for my stove that will last me exactly one week, so there's no getting wood in the dark during the week.

I have about $450.00 total into it, but building this was the best thing for me. It's built hellful strong and can take a pounding, unlike the happy homeowner models found at the big box stores......

The wings in front of the tires do wonders when encountering trees. If the trailer is empty and you hit a tree it just scoots the trailer to the side and right around the tree. On another shot you can see the chainsaw holder, that is well worth the extra time and effort as it saves the saw from taking a beating on top of the wood when its time to haul.

Craig

I looked around high and low for a good quality ATV trailer. I finally built this unit. In fact I have built (3) different trailers, all for moving wood and stuff around the house. I wasn't paying big bucks for JUNK.

This one has a Dexter axle and wheels I bought off Ebay. The box is 36" wide x 72" long and 25" deep. It perfectly holds enough wood for my stove that will last me exactly one week, so there's no getting wood in the dark during the week.

I have about $450.00 total into it, but building this was the best thing for me. It's built hellful strong and can take a pounding, unlike the happy homeowner models found at the big box stores......

The wings in front of the tires do wonders when encountering trees. If the trailer is empty and you hit a tree it just scoots the trailer to the side and right around the tree. On another shot you can see the chainsaw holder, that is well worth the extra time and effort as it saves the saw from taking a beating on top of the wood when its time to haul.

Craig

NICE!!! what is the last picture of?

Chainsaw Holder....

NICE!!! what is the last picture of?

Matt,

That is a chainsaw holder as viewed from the top. You place the bar down thru the slot and then tighten the thumb screws against the bar and it holds the saw tight and steady keeping it from bouncing around.

Craig

I have to agree with the others on the benefits of the tandem wheels. My property is anything but flat and the trails I made are rough. The tandem crawls over everything. I found my trailer at a local Polaris dealer, not sure who makes it. If you aren't dealing with rough terrain, the single axle trailers back up a bit easier. The tandem wants to maintain whichever direction it is going and so requires a little more finesse.

There are some good looking trailers in this thread!

Dok

Ken,it doesn't look like it has any springs either does it? It is too much money for me for my use.

Looks like a solid walking beam.
Not sure why they would pass up off the shelf parts for build their own inferior design.
Springs provide some cushion to protect axel from damage when jumping a stump etc.

home built

I couldn't find a trailer that fit my needs and built rugged enough, so here it is the home build. 2"x1/8 tube ,1/4 diamond plate top (I had it) axles laying around with rims and tires. and made wood side boards that can come off real easy, will hold about 1/4 cord and the atv will pull it and STOP it on my hilly land .

I have the same trailer only in black, got it off craigs list for $40.
It dumps and is pretty strong.

The only thing is that I can't back it up well, much harder that backing a trailer with a car or truck. After about 2 or 3 backwards jack-knifes, I just get off the ATV and pick up the trailer and point it to where I wanna back up to.:dizzy:

Back