Auger type splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I have no idea since my odometer stopped working at 250,000 km and I never got around to fixing it. My truck will never get really old this way.

I tried the maul, wedge and sledge hammer thing the year before and that was not really fun either. I really need to just burn natural gas or get a hydraulic splitter.

Some folks make it too easy, sorry, couldn't resist. Moral of the story, It is always a good idea to read your post slowly before you submit. LOL!

You are very correct. That is funny. I did read it but not like I should have.
I should have said" I have a Stickler log splitter and wish to attach it to a rear drive unit that was from a Chevy Luv pickup truck, and attach it to a PTO from a tractor to power the unit". That is clearer but not as quick to type. My typing usually makes people laugh or cry.How much can you expect for somebody from Bumpass!

You are very correct. That is funny. I did read it but not like I should have.
I should have said" I have a Stickler log splitter and wish to attach it to a rear drive unit that was from a Chevy Luv pickup truck, and attach it to a PTO from a tractor to power the unit". That is clearer but not as quick to type. My typing usually makes people laugh or cry.How much can you expect for somebody from Bumpass!

Sorry, I was sleep deprived when I responded to your first post and it seemed funner at the time, it still does.

Welcome to AS by the way.

Build some type of frame work for the Chevy Luv axle to hold it up at the desired level. A drive line can be modified to match up with the PTO of the tractor or even a stand alone motor would work. The motor wouldn't have to be very big such as a four banger. If I remember right I have seen photos from the 70's of a stickler mounted on a Dodge dart or Ford Pinto and it worked just fine. Any small car that was rear wheel drive. My Ford F250 is over-kill and with the 460 motor is not the cheapest way to split wood.

If you built the frame as a 3-point hitch set-up you could haul it behind the tractor. It wouldn't take much of a frame work, just something to support the axle and keep the drive shaft in line with the PTO.

Here is a link to the 1976 "Mother Earth News" article that gives a brief history about the Stickler
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1976-09-01/Tool-To-Split-Firewood.aspx

Here is the 1977 follow-up article also from "Mother Earth News"
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1977-09-01/Mothers-Useful-Tips-For-Success.aspx

What I don't understand is that with the current mentality of trial lawyers now days, how can anyone can even think about making and selling a new one? This is the kind of stuff the the blood suckers (lawyers) are looking for to make a class action lawsuit out of.

Last edited:
I just found this video. This is what I meant by using a stand alone engine to drive the Stickler. This one has a jack shaft to lower the RPM and looks safer then mounted to a vehicle hub.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8587229488272723510

videoplay

Just found this Craigslist listing for someone in OK City area. Looks like he has come down in price.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/1002783214.html

3pt Log Splitter Must sell fast! Only $150.00 - $150 (Meeker/Prague)

Date: 2009-01-22, 6:32AM CST

3pt Log Splitter Must sell fast only $300.00

THIS IS A STICKLER LOG SPLITTER (made by:ARNOLD INDUSTRIES) THAT IS 3point TRACTOR MOUNTED AND IS POWER BY P.T.O.
IT IS IN USED CONDITION. USES SCREW/WEDGE ACTION TO SPLIT VERY FAST.
Drive line is worth $50
It needs to be sharpened! I don't know how to do it. It is all there including the drive line! I took it off trying to get the head off to get it sharpen, then I was told that it is faster to sharpen when it is on the tractor!
Great deal for someone who knowes how to sharpen it!!!!

Just found this Craigslist listing for someone in OK City area. Looks like he has come down in price.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/1002783214.html

Just make sure all it needs is sharpening and he isn't trying to run a stickler directly off a pto. The stickler is right hand thread. You'd need a left hand thread screw (like the unicorn or bark buster splitters) to run directly off a pto without a gearbox.

Bark buster that runs off rear tire.

Here it is.
I just give it about 15mph.
The old cummins 12 valve just keeps on going no matter what ya put on.
A vehicle with a open diff is the easiest, I have to put the passenger side on blocks because it has a detroit locker in rear diff.

I used to watch my dad run one in his truck when I was a kid. The truck had a posi rear so the other wheel had to be off the ground also .one day he was splitting a big chunk of oak and it stalled the truck so I hopped in the truck got it running again put in gear gave it the gas. well when I did that the screw hit a knot or something hard in the wood lifted the the truck up in the air knocking it off the blocks and down on the ground almost tearing the box side off the truck. I think I needed to change my pants and dad did also. from that day on it was never used again. I was moving dad out of the house I grew up in last year and while cleaning out the basement I found the the splitter in good condition, and I instantly remembered the day I went for a ride .I decided to keep it and show it to people once in a while and everyone who has seen it says it is a miracle dad and I never got hurt using it

now that is interesting since the drive mechanism is a set up from a post hole digger, even looks like the same one i have. i wonder if i can just add a cone to mine and drive around with the tractor and just drop it on the stuff i want. wouldn't loose a finger sitting in my seat.

The thing thats interesting about that auger splitter,is they claim you can pick up a pretty good sized log to cut off the ground or remove from the woods.

BICYCLE POWER!!!

No just kidding, it looks like it either goes on the front or rear of a lawn and garden tractor and is belt driven. There is a picture of the belt tensioner in one photo and a lever sticking out the top in another.

Thats my guess...

LAZER

I made one of these many years ago. Gave me the worst case of "tennis elbow" I ever had, from reaching under the fender to fetch the pieces out.. Also left the wood a bit splintery. And yes it was scary looking at that unicorn, trying to get you. But any scarier than this? http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46387&d=1173245394 I'd take my chances with the screw any day. Friend said he saw somewhere an adaptation of a stickler type to an electric impact wrench. Any body know more? I was looking at gas powered impact wrenches. At least the screw would be pointing away from you. Handy for splitting stuff up in the bush, so you can lift it into the truck.

My buddy has a saw rig like that, yeah it's scary. I have never seen him use it, but he does.

The impact powered cone splitter sounds interesting, a tractor mounted air compressor would do the trick..

LM

I still have a stickler that I bought back in the 80's. had a contract to supply 48in. firewood split for a wood fired bakery. this splitter was great for this job. you could get that screw hot enough to burn your skin if you touched it. A little hard on the back as you are always bent over to the ground to work. One cold day I threw on a pair of coveralls to work, pulled the legs over my rubber boots so to keep the sawdust out. I walked by the tip of the splitter to do something, and the auger grabbed my losse coveralls, it threaded me in lucky we were a few guys together that day and someone shut down the pto. the tip of the screw was about 6in from giving me a rectal exam of a lifetime. we needed a knife to cut through the clothing to get me free. Another life training excercise. still use the rig for the odd job, works well. like all machinery just be careful, you can have an accident with any tool, if you are not cautious

I've seen a recent video of a dude using one of these on a bob cat. Not too practical in the field driving around to each piece IMO but...could that be used to split a log in half lengthwise? Then maybe in quarters..

If you could, then you could just cut the long quartered logs with your chainsaw to stove lengh???

:monkey:

Back