auto retract not working on I & O 30 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Broke in my new Iron & Oak 30 ton horizontal yesterday afternoon. Everything was working fine for about 10 minutes and then the auto retract started kicking off before cylinder was fully retracted. Sometimes it doesn't even retract two inches, sometimes it will go all the way. Of course when I stopped later to call customer service it was after hours. In the troubleshooting section of operator's guide it mentions an adjustment on the switch. If you have any experience with this please let me know. I'm not the most mechanically-inclined guy so please, KISS.

The control valve on your splitter should be a Prince LS 3000.

Iron&oak repair suggestion is
Problem: The ram will not automatically retract.
1. Check the slide rail or pusher plate for damage.
2. Push the valve handle to the retract position. If the handle will not stay in
this position, adjust valve detent, as described below.
Detent Adjustment Procedure
a. Locate adjustment screw on lower side of valve body.
b. Loosen locknuts.
c. Turn adjustment screw clockwise one-half turn and retighten locknuts.
d. Start the engine and test for detent operation. If detent does not work,
repeat Steps b and c.
3. If adjustment of detent does not correct the problem, replace the valve
assembly.

Here is a link to Prince LS 3000

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/LS3000InstS.pdf

Yep, sounds like a small detent valve adjustment.
Literally takes a few seconds.

Had to adjust mine after running it for a few hours.

BTW, I did consider a comparable Timberwolf. It comes to mind that it was nearly $1300 more than the I/O.

OK, it's fixed. Yes, even simple enough for me. Seems to me since it's one of the few things in the troubleshooting section, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to just put a little arrow sticker on top of the valve with the words "Auto-Retract Adjustment" on it.

PA Plumber: Ya, I read some of those threads about modifiying/building and just shake my head. My mechanical abilities are limited to changing oil, spark plugs and tires. My dad was fixing tractors on the farm right around where you're at (Brownsville area) before he was old enough to shave without anyone teaching him anything. Me, if I see it done, I might be able to duplicate it, but Lord help me if I gotta figure it out on my own.

Back