Automated External Defibrillator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemus Talea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody got an AED on their rigs? Where do you keep it so its accessible, wont get covered in junk, doesnt get stolen ($1200 and up), and so it wont have its electronics beaten and soaked? Is there a DOT rule regarding storage like the Fed regulates storage in a building? (Lithium battery)

Shopping for one for my Legion post and it got me thinking.

Would you let the groundies use it?

The newer AEDS are designed for almost anyone to use with minimal training. The OP could have his life saved by the groundies if he is the one with a heart attack. Great PR for the company if he saves someone else's life.

You could contact the AED vendors and find out if they have something already designed for use by construction crews, etc. A Pelican case would work. We keep one inside our equipment trailers, on a shelf, alongside other equipment. You could place one in a vehicle cab to protect it from some damage and pilfering.

Philbert

I don't know, Phil, Hopefully the directions use big pictures and small words...

Training shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. As long as you can find the on switch the new ones will talk you through the entire process. The pads have illustrations showing where to place them. Really all you need to know is where the on switch is (some turn on when you open them) and where to plug the pads in.

I also recommend a smart phone app called Pulse Point to everyone. It will show you where the nearest AED is to your current location. If your carrying an AED it will alert you to a nearby emergency.

I don't know, Phil, Hopefully the directions use big pictures and small words...

They are absolutely idiot proof. 3 or 4 very simple pictures,, MOST of them actually talk a person thru the very simple instructions.
Hell, they have even put them in the back of the local police cruisers,,they are that simple to operate..

What he says (below):

Training shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. As long as you can find the on switch the new ones will talk you through the entire process. The pads have illustrations showing where to place them.

Most do have pictures, and some will do more than one language.

I'm hoping my next battery powered chainsaw will have this as an accessory - 40 Volts! Clear!

Philbert

The newer AEDS are designed for almost anyone to use with minimal training. The OP could have his life saved by the groundies if he is the one with a heart attack. Great PR for the company if he saves someone else's life.

You could contact the AED vendors and find out if they have something already designed for use by construction crews, etc. A Pelican case would work. We keep one inside our equipment trailers, on a shelf, alongside other equipment. You could place one in a vehicle cab to protect it from some damage and pilfering.

Philbert

Pelican case!

I'm a Chief Officer on a Fire Department and Medical 1st responder. I personally have performed CPR on over a dozen people, with only 2 successful outcomes. The key is immediate compressions. I think the most i important thing is to have every crew member trained in hands on compressions. In Wisconsin we are trained 6 minutes of compressions before using the AED. If the heart attack isn't witnessed and compressions started immediately it more than likely will not have a positive outcome.

I'll second the Chiefs response, in 10 years in the fire service I've only shocked twice maybe 3 times. Quality non stop compressions are the key. As for storage if you were to get one, ours have a nylon coated plastic-ish case on them and they all ride in an external compartment that's clean.

I dont understand the either or regarding CPR and AED. For every minute a person is without a pulse, chances of survival decrease by almost 10%. Cardiologists have been pouring cold water on CPR value for years. Its important, but not as effective for VF and VT as was taught and believed for years.

My mother (retired RN, past EMT and volunteer ambulance captain) and brother (past EMT, paramedic, fire chief and now county health department big wig) say priorities are changing with the availability of cheap AED's.

Site and home models are about 1k now.

AEDs won't shock a stopped ('flat line') heart back to like, like the 'paddles' on TV shows like 'ER'. They may correct certain types of irregular heart rhythms, but won't do anything for other types of heart problems ('heart attacks'). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_external_defibrillator

They are one tool that is increasingly available outside of professional medical care (hospitals, paramedics, etc.). CPR is another technique that may buy a victim time until they can get professional attention, with the more powerful drugs, tools, techniques, etc. It is something that you can try if you only have your hands, and some basic training. 'Compression only' training, in my understanding, has been promoted for people afraid of fluid contact with the victim, when performing the 'rescue breathing' part without a barrier mask or air bag. I don't know that it is 'better'.

Both of these are methods heavily based on the assumption that emergency assistance is nearby and available - e.g. an EMT response of 10 minutes or so in an urban area. In a remote situation, they may the only option to try.

I think that this is an important part of the training - letting lay rescuers understand that they are giving the victim a chance, but not guaranteeing survival. EMTs and paramedics may have access to additional options.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back