Autumn Blaze Maple Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbarringer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pretty large Autumn Blaze Maple. It was in a container. The roots were wrapped on the outside pretty tight. So I cut a few of them per the nurseries instructions. I planted the tree leaving some top exposed 1-2." Per their instructions. Now, here is the tricky part. My Soil is clay. The Soil on the outside of the root ball, is moist. The container rootball soil though, is bone dry every evening. I have been watering it a little, but I am scared to overwater it. The problem is this. The many of the leaves now have a brownish red tint to them. Is this most likely due to shock? Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post any pics? What size tree (DBH) & what size pot was it in? How large where the roots that you cut? How long ago was it planted in the ground before leaves turned color? Is the tree in full sun?

Can you post any pics? What size tree (DBH) & what size pot was it in? How large where the roots that you cut? How long ago was it planted in the ground before leaves turned color? Is the tree in full sun?

Here is a pic of the leaf I have on my phone..It shows the color difference. I can get more pics if you need. Pretty good size tree. 15-18ft tall. Can't tell you the size of the pot. Pretty big though. I don't think I cut any Huge roots. It was planted in the ground on Saturday, noticed the leaf change on Monday.

View attachment 243216

Raintree thank you for your help.

The tree did not get any windburn on the way home as it was wrapped very well. The nursery I purchased this tree from is very reputable. The leaves are not falling off at this point. And today I didn't really notice a change which is good. Here are some more pics as requested. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Raintree thank you for your help.

The tree did not get any windburn on the way home as it was wrapped very well. The nursery I purchased this tree from is very reputable. The leaves are not falling off at this point. And today I didn't really notice a change which is good. Here are some more pics as requested. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The clay soils will be tough on that tree, look for signs of chlorosis in the next few months. Any shock from planting would not have shown up so soon. It is best to err on the side of over watering for the first few days after planting. But really, there appears to be nothing wrong with the tree. Another problem not often talked about, is the fact that Autumn Blaze Maples really aren't very tough trees. They are hybrids of marginal trees to begin with (red maple and silver maple), they are prone to breakage and often decline from sudden temperature changes, at least here in CO. Best of luck though.

Last edited:
Hey Tooth thanks for the reply.

I have been doing some reading and while I am pretty sure you know more about these trees than me. All the reading I have done online states that they tolerate clay soil ok. One question. The pictures I have, what does the leaf change look like to you? Shock? Disease? I can't wrap my head around it. The laves aren't curling, but its almost a reddish color in some areas in June. Interesting.

Once again, thank you all for your help. Later today I am going to post a pic of the base of the tree so you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Also, in the fall, I want to plant a Tulip Poplar. Does this tree handle clay soil well?

I'm not an expert, just a guy with some trees. To me, your maple transplant looks good. I'd error on the side of overwatering it instead of worrying about wet feet. It's not going to be "normal" for months after the transplant, some wilting/discoloration isn't out of the norm for any transplant. I think they're good trees, but I like Silver Maples too (I must be crazy). IMO they get a bad rap because they aren't as robust as the slower growing maples but compared to trees in general they're average at worst.

I have a tuliptree in dense clay and it grows well. It's a cool tree, I think anyone would like it. They grow so fast you can buy a small/cheap one if that cost less and it won't matter in a year. I think I paid four bucks from arborday.org for a three foot stick.

Both those trees grow pretty fast, I think you'll have a nice yard in just a few years. I'd keep both of those at least 20 feet from a house (though I'd keep anything that far if possible).

Last edited:
Yeah here in Maryville, TN its going to be in the 100's for a few days also. I will definitley water her good every night. Once again guys. Thanks a ton for the help. If I run into some more trouble I will seek your help again!

Latest posts

Back