Autumn blaze maple - in trouble?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Trice

I live in Iowa and moved into a new home about 13 months ago. A landscaper put in 4 autumn blaze maples for us. One was dead almost immediately, one never came back after the winter, and now I'm having problems with a third.

The tree in these photos looked fine earlier in the spring, but about two weeks ago the leaves suddenly started to turn red and, at least to my eye appeared to be withering a bit. We started the spring with fairly normal precipitation but then in May went nearly three weeks without a drop of rain. I was watering my trees every 2-3 days, which I've since read may be too much.

I'm not really sure what to do. Admittedly, caring for trees is not a real strength. Any advice is appreciated...and by all means ask whatever questions you want and I'll do my best to answer. Many thanks.

View attachment 240952
View attachment 240953
View attachment 240954

The first thing I'd do is hire a arborist & have the trees inspected by a pro. They may be under warranty.

Where the trees planted 13mo ago?

To a homeowner my second recommendation is expose the root collar. Pull back the stone mulch dig around the trunk until you find the flare View attachment 240959

We want to see if the trees have been untied from the burlap & how far down is the flare from grade.

Then report back.

The first thing I'd do is hire a arborist & have the trees inspected by a pro. They may be under warranty.

Where the trees planted 13mo ago?

To a homeowner my second recommendation is expose the root collar. Pull back the stone mulch dig around the trunk until you find the flare View attachment 240959

We want to see if the trees have been untied from the burlap & how far down is the flare from grade.

Then report back.

Yes, the trees were planted at the time we moved in 13 months ago. They were under warranty but no longer are. Unfortunately this particular tree appeared to be fine when I had the others replaced.

Dig down beside the tree into turf about 12-24 inches have a feel and smell of the earth, over watering plus poor nursery stock transplant shock and perhaps drainage maybe your grief. Very hard to cover all remedies & actions but see if its wet dank and smelly 1st before pulling any other levers. If not complications maybe from depth of tree root ball.

Dig down beside the tree into turf about 12-24 inches have a feel and smell of the earth, over watering plus poor nursery stock transplant shock and perhaps drainage maybe your grief. Very hard to cover all remedies & actions but see if its wet dank and smelly 1st before pulling any other levers. If not complications maybe from depth of tree root ball.

Are you thinking anaerobic decomposition in the planting hole?

Too bad I'm not out there. We could arrange a one hour consultation and approach this more streamlined. What would need to be checked on site is:

1. Condition of soil

2. Inquiry about ALL the maintenance procedures occurring to the lawn and trees

3. Evidence of environmental factors (includes looking at neighboring properties)

4. Condition of the tree, bark and root ball

Can't share much detail, because it takes years to figure this stuff out. But you can try to investigate those main concerns step by step and you might stumble upon something relative

Latest posts

Back