Avalanchers fireside chat.Pull up a chair.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Ever wonder where we are all headed in the firewood industry?Wether it being we earn a few bucks at it, or just heat our home?
I got a bulletin the other day, penned by a guy that advises the EPA and other government agencies charged with keeping our country's air and water supplies clean.
In the bulletin, topics such as small equipement emmisions where covered, as well as wood burning appliances to heat private homes.The projections calls for steeper emissin control on 2 stroke engines, citing that emissions need to be HALF AS MUCH as current models by the year 2012.

The article went on to describe in detail the emissions from woodstoves and of course OWB.According to the reports, emissions on the average equal to or outweigh 7 automobiles running, due in no large part to "dirty" fuel sources.it also suggested that a great deal of pollution was caused by wood sources such as trees extracting contamintes from the soil and emitting them in the burning process.

The article then wound its way up to the suggestion that only by outright banning these items at the federal level would facilitate a clean envirnment(SP?)
Manufactures have already had to comply with stricter emission control on chainsaws and other small gas engines, makes you wonder what the feds have in store for us now?Up until now, most of OWB and other wood consuming appliances have been regulated at the state level, but it leaves a guy wondering if we are all headed to an outright ban.

There is little that we can do, if the feds implement an outright ban on wood burners we will have little choice but comply.I know I have never figured out a way of burning anything without someone noticing.And as we have found out with the new taxes going into place on firearms and ammunition, our feelings on the matter mean nothing to the federal government.

Kind of makes you wonder if even Arboristsite will be here in three more years!

Now stick your toes up to the fire and warm em up good.Its cold outside, and the wife is dragging in some cold brews for us.........

Makes you wonder what will be the source of heat that we will be able to use in the long run they hate every kind of energy. What makes me wonder is they always say that to get oil or some of the coal out it would take 10-15 years but they have never started so it will take a lot longer than that if we never start the mining or drilling.

i dont see the government making you take out your woodstove. the owb regulations is bs. i cant get one because i dont own enough land.

as far as emissions go on 2 strokes they can cry me a river. ill drive my 2500 hemi ram home tonight with no cat on the exhaust like i do every night. maybe just for good measure ill let my 69 charger just idle for a while even though its in storage and off the road.

gimme a break its pretty damn bad when you cant even burn wood to keep your family warm. you cant burn wood you buy from hard working americans, but you can buy forgign oil from god knows who and burn that. id like to see someone come try to take my stoves away

Makes you wonder what will be the source of heat that we will be able to use in the long run they hate every kind of energy. What makes me wonder is they always say that to get oil or some of the coal out it would take 10-15 years but they have never started so it will take a lot longer than that if we never start the mining or drilling.

No one will need heat anymore because of global warming. :blob2:

I wonder where the person lived who wrote the article and if he worked for the oil companies?

hmmmmm......

I have an idea, anytime anyone says something bad about us wood burners, accuse them of being hired pawns of the oil industry. :chainsawguy:
Then pull up pictures of all the cute baby seals (aka: whale chow) that died due to oil accidents :cry: and remind them that not one baby seal every died from having a tree fall on it head. :hmm3grin2orange:

7 cars is a bs comparision the cars have a tier and by 2012 i think it should
be ultra low emisions the aor coming out is cleaner than going on

Oh please...

I can't find it right now, but I recall:

The size of the atmosphere on Earth is something like 1000 million cubic miles!
A cubic mile is a whole lot of air.

You can screw up the air in various locations, but you can't really mess up the whole thing. Even with a big belching wood stove.

-Pat

avalancher (or anyone else), do you have any written source for these suggested changes? I would be very interested in reviewing something in writing to check out the details.

they better find a way to charge alot less for natural gas and propane if they plan on that S#*@ and i know that crap will just skyrocket when they pass that bill. i know i'm not going to quit burnin wood. why dont they turn their a10shun on the deficet or world hunger or the homeless and leave us 2 stroke runnin wood burnin freaks alone. almost as bad as the gun registry here in canada. what a freaking joke. i'm gonna run my non cat saw and my non cat wood burner and they can take a long hard suck.......................

Oh, come on folks. I don't support this legislation.

Lets get down to the root cause.

US. Yes, US. We allow all this to happen. There was a time not so long ago, politicians would have heard what we said, even if we had to say it by the point of a pitchfork or a torch.

Is it time to go midevil on their backside?

Wow! I hope that regulation is never imposed. I love my wood stove and can't imagine a winter without it. Isn't there something else they can work on regulating first? Are they saying that the few people that there are burning wood are that big of a detriment to our air quality and atmosphere? That's hard to believe. I don't even know what to say, that is the most outlandish proposition that I have heard.

Easy answer nuclear power really clean, no pollutants comming out the chimmney only water vapor. Can't wait for the new run to nuclear power as the savior of the planet.

guys, Should never happen, but here is the story of my home region. Fife Scotland.

I grew up in a mining village, grandfather mined all his days, family heated with coal. about 2 year after the old guy retired the whole region went smokeless. and I mean smokeless... legislation brought about to help the enivironment. Never mind the crap conditions in the pits and mines, never mind the old guys was deaf from working with percussion equipment etc just out right banned. so we went from free coal( perk of the job! ) to gas.. and nobody but nobody can tell me that a gas fire can even get close to the look, smell and feel of a coal or wood fire!

Fight it guys, the consequenses will be dire and the benfits are not there oh I forgot to mention the air studies showed nothing on the before and afters.

i dont see the government making you take out your woodstove. the owb regulations is bs. i cant get one because i dont own enough land.

as far as emissions go on 2 strokes they can cry me a river. ill drive my 2500 hemi ram home tonight with no cat on the exhaust like i do every night. maybe just for good measure ill let my 69 charger just idle for a while even though its in storage and off the road.

gimme a break its pretty damn bad when you cant even burn wood to keep your family warm. you cant burn wood you buy from hard working americans, but you can buy forgign oil from god knows who and burn that. id like to see someone come try to take my stoves away
I'm with ya but it's probably coming sometime. Not gonna be pretty when it does happen.

I wouldnt worry about it. Just like gun laws, there is always someone in congress putting forth a bill that outright bans what we are doing, and as always they do not get enough support to do anything. Its just a fact of life there are far right and left wing people that want to do extreme things. Fortunatly they will never be able to get enough support to do their crazy ideas. god idea to keep one eye open though.:hmm3grin2orange:

damn it people its revolution time!!!! im friggin sick of take take take take. this is america once upon a time people had rights! little by little we keep on losing things. eventually were gonna say hey wait a minute you know what??? NO!

There has been a lot of talk in Ohio about banning OWBs. We hear a news article about 1x a year. Ohio EPA wants to ban them, citizen groups jump on the bandwagon but nothing ever happens. Remember this is government we are talking about! It takes years to get any meaningful legislation through Congress and with the parties in power going back and forth like they do, they end up changing laws that the other party already wrote. I am not worried right now since there are enough intelligent folks out there who still like burning wood for heat that will speak up and vote accordingly to ensure that important rights like the choice of how you heat your home stays that way. I, personally, keep a list of things that my local member of Congress, as well as state and local rep do. Anything really stupid or anti what I want, they don't get my vote and I let them know that too.

Latest posts

Back