avgas negatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using AV gas since 1983.........prior to that nothing but problems with E10 junk.
I am in the petroleum business.....I clean gas tanks too.....E10 and Bio Diesel keep me busy..

Never thought about using av gas, guess I'll give it a shot. I've got a small airport across the road from my house. The pump is probably a quarter mile from my door.

avgas has a lower vapor pressure that can cause hard starting in cold weather. Not sure if it would be an issue in a chainsaw, probably not since it has a choke but it can be a bear in aircraft. I don't personally use avgas in ope because i can still get pump gas with no ethanol even though it is a 120 mile round trip. (I buy a couple drums at a time) Another issue can be the amount of lead in it can foul plugs but haven't heard any ope users complain of it. It does store for years with no issues if kept sealed up. Keep it off your body too as the lead can absorb through the skin. So when your flippy cap wasn't secured, take some time and wash the fuel off yourself.

The coldest I remember starting a chainsaw on AV 100 LL was 12 degrees F. Did not notice the saws being hard to start at the time. I remember the temp because there was a thread on AS about winter bar oil at the time.

Did run some 100 LL through my 4-wheeler. The plug fouled pretty badly. After cleaning it up, it starts easily again.

The coldest I remember starting a chainsaw on AV 100 LL was 12 degrees F. Did not notice the saws being hard to start at the time. I remember the temp because there was a thread on AS about winter bar oil at the time.

Did run some 100 LL through my 4-wheeler. The plug fouled pretty badly. After cleaning it up, it starts easily again.

I agree, my coldest start was -10 and -15 for a few days, it took a couple more pulls, but I think that had more do with it being -10 and -15 then AV GAS. I've also run MOGas that cold too, started just the same.

Sam

I've seen alot of fouled plugs both 2s and 4s from people using AV gas. I'd use any of the non ethanol blends from Dixie products or VP before I bought any AV fuel.

I've seen alot of fouled plugs both 2s and 4s from people using AV gas. I'd use any of the non ethanol blends from Dixie products or VP before I bought any AV fuel.

I wonder how that is possible when I have run the stuff for years and haven't even changed a spark plug on any of the saws, LOL.

Such variances just baffle me.

Thats like the "starting issues", how can some people have starting problems and others don't know what they are talking about?? Weird stuff.

Sam

I wonder how that is possible when I have run the stuff for years and haven't even changed a spark plug on any of the saws, LOL.

Such variances just baffle me.

Thats like the "starting issues", how can some people have starting problems and others don't know what they are talking about?? Weird stuff.

Sam
I haven't had any plug issues either. Been runnin 100LL since the early 80s in my race car and for the past 3 in my saws.
Go figure...

Cars & trucks ran leaded fuel for years. The current trucks, F150, C1500 came about because in '77 EPA regs mandated trucks under certain GVWR had to go to unleaded only. in 77 you could buy an F100 (unleaded) or an f150 regular or unleaded. Lead aids combustion (or so i read) and it acted as a lubricatn for valves, which is why old leaded fuel tractors, cars, trucks that still have the original heads (valve seats) need a lead replacment additive so the valve seats are not damaged.

I can't figure the lead is bad for the engine stuff either. enviorment, and people yes....

dw

I have never run it in a saw, but I have tried it in two different motorcycles that I ran in the 1/4 mile. Both bikes made less power on AVgas than they did on 91 octane and one was almost impossible to start on it. Neither ran as well either. If you don't really NEED the extra octane due to super high compression, blower, nitrous, etc, I think you would make more power running lower octane fuel as long as you're not into a pre-mature detonation situation.

Running more octane than you need, seems like a bad idea to me.

I tried av gas in my ms460 and it seemed down on power with it. I have been running fuel from VP racing lately. I really like the SEF (small engine fuel) that they sell, no ethanol and 94 octane.

As much as I like the AV gas, I just found out yesterday that its up to $5.15 per gallon at the cheapest airport around here. I will still get 5 gallons for the saws that don't get run much .......... which is just the 084 and also the Kombi 130.
Sam

I thought a gallon would last a month in your modded 441 M-Tronics Sam? :D

I think we're about $10 a gallon here but as far as I am aware it is difficult for the public to access now. I know my brother used to run his street driven Holden Monaro with 327 Chev on Avgas but I'd say the gubbermint has clamped down on that now. You know to save penguins and whales and stuff...

it's just a shame that we can't go to any gas station and buy decent gas anymore,the quality keeps getting worse and the price keeps going up:frown:,i wonder how the fuel is in other countries like germany or sweden where a lot of these saws are developed and tested:msp_confused:

The pump gas here in my part[Midi Pyrenees]of FRANCE contains no ethanol so I don`t suffer the problems you guys have. The only problem we have at the moment is gas & diesel is at it`s highest price ever 98 gas is 1.60 euros per litre[1euro=$1.29]Which works out at roughly $6.20 per US gallon. 95 is about 30 cents per gallon cheaper.

The pump gas here in my part[Midi Pyrenees]of FRANCE contains no ethanol so I don`t suffer the problems you guys have. The only problem we have at the moment is gas & diesel is at it`s highest price ever 98 gas is 1.60 euros per litre[1euro=$1.29]Which works out at roughly $6.20 per US gallon. 95 is about 30 cents per gallon cheaper.

You guys are even more expensive than us. We are currently at about USD$6/gallon for diesel and 95RON unleaded. Premium 98RON is around USD$6.80/gallon (3.78L).

I run av gas. I really enjoy it. A little adjustment to the carb and run with it. The only down fall I see. If someone decides to refuel your saw with pump gas you may end up with a scored piston. However, I'm not in the habit of letting folks use my equipment.

You guys are even more expensive than us. We are currently at about USD$6/gallon for diesel and 95RON unleaded. Premium 98RON is around USD$6.80/gallon (3.78L).

at least you guys can get 95 and 98 octane at the pump which is great!:msp_thumbup:i can remember amoco ultra 94 i used to run in my 69chevelle 20 yrs ago the highest octane around here is 92 now,ours comes in a 55gal drum from a specialty fuel company these days:frown:

Old saw on av gas

I ran it in a Mc.-450 one tank after another , about a gallon and a half not letting the saw cool down much and it ran GREAT
I adj. carb. a little but not too much ,(a little richer) the old mac. seemed to run with good power , but i am still unsure:msp_confused: due to this thread i am going to use it in more of my saws .
A fellow at a saw shop went to a factory training seminar(sthil) they told him that it would eventualy cause a heat seizure,
boy was i thrown for a loop then. the companys today are trying to push canned gas on us i supose..
we can still get non- ethanol gas around here but i do not know how long it will last.
Most of my collection is saws from fortys-thru the sixtys.. any input on this also:msp_confused: david

at least you guys can get 95 and 98 octane at the pump which is great!:msp_thumbup:i can remember amoco ultra 94 i used to run in my 69chevelle 20 yrs ago the highest octane around here is 92 now,ours comes in a 55gal drum from a specialty fuel company these days:frown:

I could be wrong mate but I think your octane ratings are in MON, not RON. I can't remember the conversion but I have a feeling your 92MON is about the same as our 98RON.

Latest posts

Back