Axles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckr74

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever mess with trailer house axles? I'm getting ready to do some mods on my splitter my dad and I built 25 years ago. Wondering if I can use same spindal bearings an hub so I can fit a std. wheel on it. The tires are getting rotten and need to be replaced. Used trailer house axles back then because I got em cheap. Thanks!

Trailer house axles have been used to make pull trailers for years. In fact, my brother has one. There is a company out there that sells standard wheels that will bolt to the trailer house configuration--they saw a market I guess--from all the guys building pull trailers with them. I can't think of the company off hand, but a Google search may yield something for you.

A buddy of mine made a huge heavy duty gooseneck using them, and he uses it to haul steel (He owns a steel erection business).

My brother told me he just buys trailer tires with the wheel for $25.0 a whack... Yes, trailer house tires won't last as long, but for 25 bucks?.. Probably worth it.

Anyone ever mess with trailer house axles? I'm getting ready to do some mods on my splitter my dad and I built 25 years ago. Wondering if I can use same spindal bearings an hub so I can fit a std. wheel on it. The tires are getting rotten and need to be replaced. Used trailer house axles back then because I got em cheap. Thanks!

what size is the spindle?

I'm lazy, haven't pulled the wheel yet. Thought someone might know before I pulled hub. I think the're all the same.

One thing to check if you do use house trailer axles is the grease seals on some were made of hard plastic and were meant as a one way one time deal. Not good for a lot of miles. I think they can be replaced with the neoprene type seal. I would want to repack the bearings anyway. If you are planning to haul much weight, you will want brakes on at least one axle, all preferably.

Back