Baby live oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanacitafolia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
San Mateo California Zone 17 (but getting hotter e
I came to this site after viewing the posts about Oak seedlings. I have a volunteer Coyote brush in my yard that has what look little 3" tall holly bushes growing beneath it. I dug one up and noticed that above the root was what looked like an acorn, slim and about an inch long. I found another dead one while I was digging oxalis.

There is a still another live one. Could it be a baby live oak? Since this is the barrens of suburbia there aren't any live oaks that I have seen near here (but there aren't any Coyote brush either.) My yard is pretty tiny and all this is going on beneath a Modesto Ash.

If it really is a live oak I would like to encourage it?

More info with pictures

Here are some pictures of my yard and the tiny tree I think is a Coast Live Oak.
It is in the center of the close-up beside the yellow and red tulip and in front of the Camelia.

Is it a Coast Live Oak?
If it is an oak, how can I encourage it?

Mary Beth

It could very well be a live oak. If it's not where you want to plant it you can gently dig it up and put it in a pot and let it grow a little while you decide where you want it. As far as care just give it water when it's too dry and if you do pot it put it in a sunny location. Also bear in mind that this tree will get very large one day.

Back