back puffing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys,its been awhile since Ive been on the site,but I seem to have problems with my fireplace insert puffing smoke when the winds are from the northeast(25+ mph today) winds from other direction has not been an issue I have a door cracked open (positive pressure?) but still puffs especially when more wood is added would a chimney cap help? any other Ideals or thoughts would be appreciated,thanks,Kevin

a cap like this might help

WDSS5_-_2.jpg

Last edited:
Am I being too simplistic in assuming that the cap pictured is designed to 'weathervane' so as to always keep the wind to the rear ???

Am I being too simplistic in assuming that the cap pictured is designed to 'weathervane' so as to always keep the wind to the rear ???

From the words of the late Ed McMahon on the Carson show...You are correct Sir.
Artis is a manufacture of them that we use.
Wind directional caps can really save you from down drafting.

Go higher! Add a couple of feet of chimney and it should be better.

Mine used to do it too...only in very high winds like we get a couple of times a year. I added 18 inches of pipe and the problem is gone.

True adding length can aide your draft.
I know that the caps are only like 50-65 $$$ what would 18"-24" of double wall insulated pipe be???? A bit more....either way you'll win.

Is the flue correctly sized for the stove? I'm no expert on draft issues but I have seen this problem when a stove is exhausted into a too large a chimney.

a cap like this might help

WDSS5_-_2.jpg

I have a cap like this. I also have a chimney that in all ways satisfies the "requirements" of my building and furnace. This cap works. Trust me. I've tried a few different designs and this is the only thing that came close to helping.

I ended up removing the ~ 1" square screen because it would build up with creosote and I would have to clean it yearly. I also took it apart and made looser tolerances in the swivel so it wouldn't stick. As it is now, I just collect what drops into my clean out and don't clean my chimney.

I no longer dread strong west winds.

Last edited:
Go higher! Add a couple of feet of chimney and it should be better.

Mine used to do it too...only in very high winds like we get a couple of times a year. I added 18 inches of pipe and the problem is gone.

:agree2:
Same here

My previous post is to old to edit so here I go.

Many people say go higher. If that is easy I say go for it. It isn't easy for me. I had a new chimney constructed when I got a furnace in the basement. Previously I had a stove on the main level and suffered downdrafts during strong west winds.When the new chimney was built I went double wall insulated inside square cement block covered with an elastomeric paint. It's 3 feet taller than the old chimney. 43 block are exposed above ground level and the chimney extends above that. It's 4' above the tallest ridge that is about 9' away to the east on a 12/12 pitch. West winds were a killer. Going taller (how much?) isn't an easy task.

A directional wind cap is a "quick and dirty" fix and sometimes that is exactly what the situation calls for.

I have the same problem at my girlfriends house ,her house in the middle of 32 acres with fields on all four sides. The wind is unbelievable most of the winter.I like the wind directional cap but my question is what about creosote build up.> I have never seen that style cap before where can I buy them .none of the local stove shops sell them . has any tried to make a cap in the shape of a tee and place it so that the wind hits the sides instead of going straight through.

Is the flue correctly sized for the stove? I'm no expert on draft issues but I have seen this problem when a stove is exhausted into a too large a chimney.

We have another winner...
:agree2:

Wet wood,oversized or cold exterior flues,too short of flue length,lack of make up combustion air,to many 90 degree angles or too long of flue length between the collar and thimbal can create draft issues as well as high winds.

Last edited:
Back