Back to work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseFaller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm headed back tomorrow on the 27th of December. Just curious Who all is shut down till after the first of the year. I heard rumor the mills are not open till after the first. So I imagine I'm doing maintenance and clean up only. I had last week off except one day to add more culverts in the road. Anyone else seeing this?

Were working, anyone else love workin this time of year? The snow ain't up to your tits yet, its not hotter than africa, fuel prices are down and there's no bees. The truckers are #####in about how the roads are plowed, but if they aren't #####in I guess they aren't truckers are they?

Looks like I spoke too soon. We got blown out today.

That's okay, though. I've been working behind a feller-buncher falling the stuff that's too big or too steep for him to get to. He broke down yesterday and I spent all day in a pine plantation that didn't thrive. It was real small dog hair crap that had never been thinned and it was like working in a jungle. I didn't need a saw...I needed a weed-eater. Or maybe a light saber. Or maybe a book of matches.

They'll have the fb fixed today and I can go back to cutting real trees tomorrow. If we don't get blown out again.

:smile2: Maybe I should have posted this in the Whining thread.

I think the ski hill is closed today. The report said "Delayed Opening" to assess conditions and see how many trees are down. I was awoken at 3AM by a loud crack of thunder--not a pleasant way to wake up. It is 49 degrees and still breezy. A couple of clocks were blinking. Oh, after the thunder, the water spigot up there opened up wide. We have to make up for the earlier part of December.

And the mill here usually closes for a week this time of year. Loggers try to keep logging if they can do so safely--no plugged up landings.

Unfortunately, the mill in Morton had a closing earlier because of a young man was killed on the job.
It hit our community pretty hard.

@ Gologit we are getting the wind hear bad this week to. It's weird that it stops at about mid morning just long enough to fall and buck a load or so. I know the brushy crap sucks to work in. That seems to be all we have been doing to stay busy is the jobs no one else wants. Nothing like cutting a trail thru the nastiest brush from tree to tree. Lol. This job we are on now keeps getting expanded. It's a thinning that started out as a small one acre clearing. Now it's close to 60 acres all shovel or using a skidder. The drag is at almost 3000ft long from cutting to landing. This hill is wet and steep. Two things I didn't think could be at the same time. I hate this hill wish we could go back to clear cutting but even those have been super brushy. So where is the whinning topic at lol.

@Slowp our local mill is open and taking wood still. It's nice cause it's about a 45min round trip from landing and back. It keeps one truck busy all day, when it all goes smooth.

Back