Building out a ms400 c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookstreeco

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post other than asking for a service manual for a 400c.

Sorry for the long story and I hope this is posted in the right spot, but I’m hoping for some input/guidance.
So I was on the job with a buddy yesterday and we had a fat log roll and bounce down a hillside, landing right on top of his shiny new 400c. I paid him for the saw, and now I’m the proud owner of a burled up 400.
After tearing the saw down to assess the damage, it broke all the fins and cracked the cylinder head, broke the grab handle, chain brake, and spark plug, as well as all the main plastics. I think the piston and rod and the bottom end are unscathed though, and the gas and oiler seem to be holding fluid and not leaking.

Id like to rebuild the thing and am just curious, is it worth it to get a port kit and try and build it back with a little more power, rather than just replacing the cylinder? I’ve never had one ported so I’m just curious as to what all needs to be replaced if you try and beef it up. I’ve got basic mechanic tinkering skills and can follow a manual pretty well, so I’m just wondering is it really worth it to try and get more power out of the thing?

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
I would leave cylinder as is, the fins are broke on the cool side- so may hold up if you’re not really pushing it. (You only can buy cylinder with piston as a kit.
replace handle and what else and go from there.

Hey all, this is my first post other than asking for a service manual for a 400c.

Sorry for the long story and I hope this is posted in the right spot, but I’m hoping for some input/guidance.
So I was on the job with a buddy yesterday and we had a fat log roll and bounce down a hillside, landing right on top of his shiny new 400c. I paid him for the saw, and now I’m the proud owner of a burled up 400.
After tearing the saw down to assess the damage, it broke all the fins and cracked the cylinder head, broke the grab handle, chain brake, and spark plug, as well as all the main plastics. I think the piston and rod and the bottom end are unscathed though, and the gas and oiler seem to be holding fluid and not leaking.

Id like to rebuild the thing and am just curious, is it worth it to get a port kit and try and build it back with a little more power, rather than just replacing the cylinder? I’ve never had one ported so I’m just curious as to what all needs to be replaced if you try and beef it up. I’ve got basic mechanic tinkering skills and can follow a manual pretty well, so I’m just wondering is it really worth it to try and get more power out of the thing?
Looks a lot better than the 2 261s I had that were run over by skids :p
tear it down completely and clean every. You may find cracks in the case halves you don’t see now…what happened to me. 🙄
then, hit eBay for used replacement parts. Your dealer can supply the rest.

You always find hidden damage once stripped down and the tankhandle comes off.
I'll buy the jug if it isn't broke at the base. They sell new ones right around the corner if you want one ported and shipped. Probably cost 500 shipped but it's an all new top end. Save the extra piston or order a used cylinder and wait for Ebay. No after market is available. You should swap in new rings on a new cylinder. You can do the rest of the mods yourself.

Broken fins are going to compromise the cooling ability of the saw. If you keep the topend, open up the muffler to help it cool. I would not personally hot rod a saw with broken fins but thats just personal pref.

Back