Back to Yarding Figuring Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after a couple of weeks of inspecting and reinspecting the work everybody hates to do, slash piling and fixing things that were taken apart to log, I returned to wandering about in a unit.

We started out with a smoked honey brined salmon tidbit...mmmmm good. I'll have to make some salsa this weekend and have them try it out.
Then had a safety discussion about cutting out skyline corridors and rigging up in an emergency to yard out any injured circumferentially challenged people over 50. I said "Just roll me down to the main road." The other, who met the above description wanted to be hooked to the carriage and brought up the hill.

That settled, the young one returned to cutting and we elders who do not jump anymore, went on the search for a suitable tail tree. It is a challenge sometimes, and was here. The setting was in hemlock. I thought I saw a nice old growth so headed towards the big shadow...I'm nearsighted. I clambered over some stuff and there it was, a nice big old Doug, about 4 foot at dbh. I yelled at the logger, and was waving my hardhat on a stick because I was hidden behind a bigger blowdown, but he kept on looking for a different tree. Oh well, I headed down after him, he was in his camo clothes and hard to find.

We found some second growth for another setting, and headed back to the old growth. There was another, bigger one in the same area. We couldn't see the yarder because of all the brush. A discussion ensued.
Logger, "Look at that straight grained cedar. It'd make some good blocks."

Me, "No."

Logger, looking at the big blowdown, "I wonder if I could yard me out a log of that. It'd make good lumber for a house."

Me, "No."

Logger, "I could buck it up into 20 footers and my yarder just might..."

Me, "No."

We failed to locate a corridor though. We just could not see the yarder. He suggested getting his son on the top waving a flag. I suggested mounting a strobe on top and working at night. Seriously, this was probably a good time to have a GPS unit.

I think he'll have it figured out tomorrow, and I'll reload my NOs. That bright orb was visible and might be tomorrow. Then it'll be back to dark and stormy weather.

I was surprised at the temps the last couple days...The big one is blowing in soon though...:cry:

When I was cutting thinnings I'd take a compass bearing off the landing so I'd always be "butts up" to the tower...

Too bad you couldn't let that old boy have a nice Cedar.

Slope, Im not that far, Make me some HOT salsa Mmm mmmm

I deffinantly agree with the hill situation, riding a carrage is a sure way to deathdom.

I rode the old Eagle up the bump a few times, after you get done loosing it from the very abrupt raise from the eagle taking the cable in, the ride up is a very BUMPY SCARY ride up.

AKA, Ide rather hike 1200 feet that ride a death trap. . . .

We found some second growth for another setting, and headed back to the old growth. There was another, bigger one in the same area. We couldn't see the yarder because of all the brush. A discussion ensued.
Logger, "Look at that straight grained cedar. It'd make some good blocks."

Me, "No."

Logger, looking at the big blowdown, "I wonder if I could yard me out a log of that. It'd make good lumber for a house."

Me, "No."

Logger, "I could buck it up into 20 footers and my yarder just might..."

Me, "No."

Aw, c,mon...just one cedar? :greenchainsaw:

Aw, c,mon...just one cedar? :greenchainsaw:

No.:buttkick:

Back to tin pants and mildew if it isn't too scary out tomorrow.

... Windy conditions for the mountains... coast... and northern
interior Thursday...

A strong Pacific frontal system will impact western Washington on
Thursday. Breezy southeasterly winds on Wednesday night will
become south-southwest on Thursday for the north interior and
coast increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gust as high as 50 mph.

Winds just above the surface will be very strong on Thursday.
Ridgetop winds for the Olympics and lower south facing slopes will
range from 45 to 65 mph with higher gusts possible. Ridgetop winds
along the southern slopes of the Cascades will also be
windy... with sustained winds up to 50 mph possible. The strong
winds will also be accompanied by heavy rains... combining for
dangerous conditions in the mountains.

Last edited:
No.:buttkick:

Back to tin pants and mildew if it isn't too scary out tomorrow.

... Windy conditions for the mountains... coast... and northern
interior Thursday...

A strong Pacific frontal system will impact western Washington on
Thursday. Breezy southeasterly winds on Wednesday night will
become south-southwest on Thursday for the north interior and
coast increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gust as high as 50 mph.

Winds just above the surface will be very strong on Thursday.
Ridgetop winds for the Olympics and lower south facing slopes will
range from 45 to 65 mph with higher gusts possible. Ridgetop winds
along the southern slopes of the Cascades will also be
windy... with sustained winds up to 50 mph possible. The strong
winds will also be accompanied by heavy rains... combining for
dangerous conditions in the mountains.

I was once told that if you ask FS to do something the answer is always NO!. Better to just go ahead and do it and plead ignorence.
This was from a FS sales administrator. Things haven't changed.

On another note the nice weather moving in is just in time for elk season. That hasn't changed either.

I was once told that if you ask FS to do something the answer is always NO!. Better to just go ahead and do it and plead ignorence.
This was from a FS sales administrator. Things haven't changed.

On another note the nice weather moving in is just in time for elk season. That hasn't changed either.

No,,,,:) Ah yes. The camps are springing up. The circus size army tent camp was back yesterday. I'll do a pre-elk deck check to make sure the NO woodcutting signs are up. AS IF that will stop them.

No,,,,:) Ah yes. The camps are springing up. The circus size army tent camp was back yesterday. I'll do a pre-elk deck check to make sure the NO woodcutting signs are up. AS IF that will stop them.

Who me? What signs? Someone else must have torn them off or maybe the wind blew them off. Are you sure you put them up here? No Habla ingles.

Latest posts

Back