Backdragging the file?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy19

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought about this last night while I was sharpening some chains. I know that everybody says not to back drag the file.

I know that you definitely shouldn't back drag it on the cutter itself because you'll likely do more harm than good to the cutter. So is the reason to not back drag because of this, or because it's hard on the file too?

The reason I was wondering is because when I sharpen chains I find it much quicker, easier to do the following.
#1 put proper pressure on the file and perform the forward stroke.
#2 switch pressure off the tooth to a very, very light grazing pressure forward, against the back side of the raker, then perform back stroke.

This lets me keep the file in the groove, and I don't actually have to guide the file back into the notch between the raker and tooth then run the forward stroke. Doing it the above way lets me stroke back-and forth with just a light change of pressure one way to the other. The light backstroke on the back side of the raker isn't removing any material, it's really not even scratching it.

I'm just not sure if this is a "file" thing, or a sharpening technique thing. Am I causing premature wear to the file, or am I good-to-go on sharpening this way?

I thought about this last night while I was sharpening some chains. I know that everybody says not to back drag the file.

I know that you definitely shouldn't back drag it on the cutter itself because you'll likely do more harm than good to the cutter. So is the reason to not back drag because of this, or because it's hard on the file too?

Both. It's very bad on the file.

Both. It's very bad on the file.

I realize that true "backdragging" of the file, meaning you're trying to remove material by putting pressure on the file while drawing it back, is very bad on the file. I'm talking about very, very light pressure, you can barely even hear the file making contact with the raker. Just enough pressure to keep it in the groove and away from the tooth.

Still bad on the file?

Not trying to argue, just wanted to be sure it's understood what I mean when I say back-dragging the file.

probably not a problem. Its hard on the files because they are designed to cut in one direction and the "teeth" on them are built to handle forces in that direction. If you put pressure on them and go the wrong way it folds or rounds over the cutting edge of the "tooth" and your file goes dull (same with reams and other one way cutters). Now for as long as a round file lasts (not very long) and for what they cost, I wouldnt worry about what your doing too much.

probably not a problem. Its hard on the files because they are designed to cut in one direction and the "teeth" on them are built to handle forces in that direction. If you put pressure on them and go the wrong way it folds or rounds over the cutting edge of the "tooth" and your file goes dull (same with reams and other one way cutters). Now for as long as a round file lasts (not very long) and for what they cost, I wouldnt worry about what your doing too much.

:agree2:

Yeah, I know exactly what you meant, because I use that trick myself. :laugh: And it WILL shorten the life of the file, but as ironman pointed out, we're not talking about a $40 10" mill file here.

Latest posts

Back