Bad buy or good buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a 1995 Trans am with an LT1 and got 26-28 mpg on the highway. I always got the same mileage as my buddies 3.4L camaro but with 2-3x the power.

They are good cars, but aren't fun to work on.

2-3 times, uh, no. Not if you're talking stock motors. The 350 in that year model is rated around 50 more hp, or around 30%. If you were getting 26 to 28 mpg, you weren't using the extra power from the v-8 anyway.

IIRC a 95 firebird with a 3.4L had 160hp (routinely put down 145-150 on the dyno), and the pre 96 single cat LT1's had 275. Mine stock put 301 down at the rear wheels on the dyno. They had to underrate the Fbody LT1's to keep the vette guys happy. A little more than 50 more hp.

You can cruise at get good mileage, with an LT1, and still have double the power. When you wanna go fast the LT1 will walk a 3.4L.

Built up 4 LT1, and 2 LS1 f-body's.

Last edited:
IIRC a 95 firebird with a 3.4L had 160hp (routinely put down 145-150 on the dyno), and the pre 96 single cat LT1's had 275. Mine stock put 301 down at the rear wheels on the dyno. They had to underrate the Fbody LT1's to keep the vette guys happy. A little more than 50 more hp.

You can cruise at get good mileage, with an LT1, and still have double the power. When you wanna go fast the LT1 will walk a 3.4L.

Built up 4 LT1, and 2 LS1 f-body's.
You're right. I was reading the wrong specs. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong--I'd love to have a v-8, but I'm just not willing to spend the money for one at this point. As it is, I'm rarely out of town where you drive faster than 40 anyway at this point. :)

The last 383 car i built started life with the 3.4L. picked it up super cheap and bolted the LT1 in it, then later with to a 355 and then a 383.

The 6cyl cars are basically the same so they are the perfect platform for a build up.... haha :greenchainsaw:

The last 383 car i built started life with the 3.4L. picked it up super cheap and bolted the LT1 in it, then later with to a 355 and then a 383.

The 6cyl cars are basically the same so they are the perfect platform for a build up.... haha :greenchainsaw:
I've had my fill of engine swaps. If I were to get into performance mods, I think it would be awfully neat to build a stock appearing v6 that put out 350 hp. Would cost a bundle I'm sure.

I've had my fill of engine swaps. If I were to get into performance mods, I think it would be awfully neat to build a stock appearing v6 that put out 350 hp. Would cost a bundle I'm sure.

my friend's firebird i mentioned earlier put out around 320 on a dyno, he spent 3000 on engine and around 500 on exhaust, that is having the work done with labor.

my friend's firebird i mentioned earlier put out around 320 on a dyno, he spent 3000 on engine and around 500 on exhaust, that is having the work done with labor.

For 3k I had built a nice forged 355 stroker, and was pushing 450-500hp. With the addition of a 12 bolt rear and some suspension work it was into the 10's on the strip.

Sure you can build a sixxer, for for equal money the v8 will always always be faster.

No replacement for displacement.

For 3k I had built a nice forged 355 stroker, and was pushing 450-500hp. With the addition of a 12 bolt rear and some suspension work it was into the 10's on the strip.

Sure you can build a sixxer, for for equal money the v8 will always always be faster.

No replacement for displacement.

That's true, but everyone and his brother builds a v8. No one is surprised if you're beaten by a v8. The same can't be said if you're beat by a 6. :cheers:

But it will take 3k to get that V6 to stick with a V8 that has an exhaust and intake...... Which most people do to these cars...

If I had got beaten by a V6 and the guy said he had 3K in the motor I would still laugh in his face and not be surprised at all. Going fast takes cash, just the V8 is 2x the platform to start with.

Last edited:
Put 400 miles on it today. Still like it pretty well. I was driving fairly aggressively and still got 26.7 mpg.

This is the first vehicle I've owned that seems to be able to take curves better than I can. I took a few fast enough to get that dizzy feeling from the sideways g force and I still didn't squeal a tire. I can see where this might get addicting. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well guys, I'm not disputing that the v8 is more motor, but anyone who says the v6 is weak has their heads up their butts. I took the car out on the interstate today, and floored it. Went from 70 to 80 to 90, still going, pass 100, get to 110, still accelerating, but I let off for fear of getting a ticket. I'm confident this car will do 120. Pulled up to a stop sign the other night, and once again floored it to see if it would peel out. It smoked the right rear tire, shifted to second, and kept spinning. This is not a weak car. Plenty of performance for me, but I do miss the deep roar of a v8.

Incidentally, I saw that the base sport coupe is supposed to come with 215 60 r16 tires. This car has speced on the door tag 235 55 r16 tires. Were these an option?

I'm confident this car will do 120. Pulled up to a stop sign the other night, and once again floored it to see if it would peel out. It smoked the right rear tire, shifted to second, and kept spinning. This is not a weak car. Plenty of performance for me, but I do miss the deep roar of a v8.

I had my trans am to 145-150 many times, the v6 cars will pull around 120. As for peeling out the V8 usually would have a limited slip rear and spin both rear tires through 3rd easily.... Depending on the tires you can keep they roasting to 85+mph........

Last edited:
I had my trans am to 145-150 many times, the v6 cars will pull around 120. As for peeling out the V8 usually would have a limited slip rear and spin both rear tires through 3rd easily.... Depending on the tires you can keep they roasting to 85+mph........
I don't see myself ever driving faster than 120. . .

Incidentally, I fixed the air conditioner today. It was simply a vacuum line unhooked from the very back of the engine. Too bad I pulled the dash apart before I started tracing vacuum lines under the hood. :)

A racing lawn mower will do 60,to me it's not about top speed,but how long it takes to get there...

A racing lawn mower will do 60,to me it's not about top speed,but how long it takes to get there...

Yup, while the v6 might be a respectable engine and have decent power, it is still in a camaro. The bar for performance is raised since the car is a camaro. The lineage of the camaro is a big, fast, mean muscle car. The v6 does not live up to the legacy. Still not as bad as a 4-cylinder mustang though.

Overall, for what space is using the car for, the v6 is a fine choice and the most practical.

Yup, while the v6 might be a respectable engine and have decent power, it is still in a camaro. The bar for performance is raised since the car is a camaro. The lineage of the camaro is a big, fast, mean muscle car. The v6 does not live up to the legacy. Still not as bad as a 4-cylinder mustang though.

Overall, for what space is using the car for, the v6 is a fine choice and the most practical.

He he, look at it this way. As long as I don't race it and I don't drive one with a v8, I'll be happy. :cheers:

And I disagree with the lineage of camaros being a big, fast, mean muscle car. That's more the Corvette heritage. The Camaro is and always was an economical sports car. Economy, style, and handling being its biggest features. That car sold brand new for $13,000. Sure, there are performance versions. There are also performance versions of a Mercury Grand Marquis. ;-)

Last edited:
Back