balsam fir question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
O.K. guys (and girls), put on your helpful thinking caps for me.

Twelve balsam firs, transplanted six years ago (they are about 15 feet tall now); have a bluish-gray colored fungal? growth on some of the branches. The growth seems inhibited. Any ideas?

Actually, a friend e-mailed me about this, and said the same stuff is on an oak tree he moved, too.

I sent him a reply loaded with questons to see if I could figure it out without a picture or seeing for myself.

Any ideas on this with the limited details? (I've already asked him to send me a picture, and detail more about where on the branch, etc.)

Thanks.

Gopher

I'm not sure, Mike, but he is sending me pictures tonight, and then maybe I'll be able to figure it out. I think he was trying to test me to see if I could come up with what it might be by description. I won't jump into that trap.

If I am still not sure what it is after receiving pictures, I'll popst them.

Gopher

O.K., he sent me four pictures, and yes it is lichen. One tee has got it growing and it is really piled up on a few beranches.

Is there anything that can be done about this lichen growth?

It also hapens to be on a small transplanted oak.

I've seen lichen on all kinds of things, including trees, but not usually as thick either.

I'm sure he'll want to know what he can do, and I suppose the answer would be to create conditions not suitable for lichen growth.

Gopher

If it ain't one thing, it's another!:confused:

ummmmmm, wipe it off? :confused:

I've been known to wipe off some particularly thick areas of lichen when fine pruning trees. Usually when I'm demossing, and picking away anyways.

Hey, it would work on the small oak, but on one of the firs, it would probably be better to remove the limb (it is that thick).

I'll dig into lichens a little deeper and see what conditions they thrive in and which ones they don't.

Gopher :D

Back