bandit 1890 with 5k hrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdevildog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2003 bandit 1890 with 5k hrs for 18,000 bucks, any thoughts? Engine fires right up, new water pump and injector pump, doesn't smoke after it's warm, hydraulics work all the way around. I have no experience with anything bigger than a 250 but we're getting more lot clearing jobs for commercial contractors so I need ( i think) a bigger chipper. The owner doesn't think the feed wheel bearings or drum bearings have been replaced, or doesn't know when they were. Any input is appreciated.

Depends on how it was used. If it was used as a whole tree chipper, it should be just about ready to fall apart. Check for cracks and or welds all over it. If the owner doesn't know about a maintenance schedule on his own machine, I'd probably keep looking. FYI two years ago I found a 1998 1890 with three hundred original hours on it, and I got it for 17K.

I have one like that the first thing you need to check and very carefully is the frame, it will crack. You need to pressure wash it if dirty so you can find the cracks. That is a very heavy unit on a not so heavy frame that's why it cracks. Now a good welder can brace it up so don't let that keep you away use it as a bargaining chip. Mine had some huge cracks right in the middle. The next thing to check is the clutch it should be quite an effort to push in and when disengaged the lever should fall back past 12:00 position towards you more. You may even smell clutch too. Is that machine the HD version with the bigger top wheel? BTW 5000 hrs are not a lot for the Diesel but the chipper may have cracks in the frame around that time and the main bearings may or may not be bad depends if he greased it all the time or neglected too. otherwise just look at the condition does it look cared for or dirty and hammered?

You've had some good advice so far... is it the 140 perkins or the heavy duty version? come with a winch or a grapple maybe?

Take a look all over the frame, don't be too worried about cracks, it's part of every day life with a chipper that size but use them as a bargaining chip. If it looks nice and clean and well looked after then well worth the money, but if it looks hammered, faded paint, peeling stickers, lots of poor looking welds, then don't be afraid to walk away. Lots of people are selling off big chippers to buy smaller ones! Maintenance/repair costs are very high on machine this size, and they have more problems than the older machines do and are harder to trouble shoot. A buddy with an 1890 went through all sorts of hell last year trying to work out why it wouldn't hold revs up high enough for autofeed to work. Went through $$$$ with injector pumps, injectors, computer, sensors, tank cleaned out etc etc... seems hard to find a guy who can get their head around accurate trouble shooting on these machines. Dealer support is critical.

If it has the winch, take a good look at the feed wheels. Some guys are real hard on the winch and haul medium trees hard up against the wheels, lifting the tree right up off the ground 6'-8' in the air, then quickly slam the chute open. The 'teeth' on the wheel end up bent and cracked, and the bearings end up shot too.

You'll be horrified at the cost of running a machine this size, but they sure can make some money (if you've got the work!)

Back