Bandit 250 Or Vermeer Bc1500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with neighborstree, that you need to demo both. This way you will be able to determine which machine will work best for your business. I've owned bandit, morbark, vermeer and woodsman. Vermeer has got a major problem with their larger chippers, 14" and bigger. Our last machine a bc1400xl, was a piece of crap. After several upgrades, and fighting with my local dealer we sold the machine. I would not recommend Vermeer chippers to anyone. Neighborstree, did mention that he did have an older 1800. These were probably one of the best machines built by Vermeer. But the new model is a larger copy of the 1400. We currently our running Woodsman chippers, which have a very aggressive feed system. Still you need to demo a few machines to determine which is best suitable for your business.

One of my business associates has a 1230 Vermeer... a descent chipper. A while back the two of us were doing a job together and all of a sudden the machine just shuts down. Couldn't figure it out, so he took it back to Vermeer to say WTF. Well it turned out to be a relay which they had just replaced not that long ago. They got it back to him the following day around 11:00, and only asked him to give the mechanic a few bucks for lunch... but still that shouldn't have happened.

Thanks but i will not buy used. I have always bought either used or a demo this time i want a new one. The dealer is only going to give me 16k for my 200 (ford diesel 2002)with only 1000 hours in it. I am thinking of keeping it. DO YOU GUYS THINK A 1000 HOURS IS A LOT:confused:

Out of those 2 options the BB 250. But if you want a extremely well built chipper that will last forever get a MORBARK 12 or 15. I will never buy a chipper with over 600hr.s used so to me 1000hr.s is ALOT. The dealer will turn around and sell that 200 for $20K. I'd say keep it and sell it for $18K. Then take that and put it down on a new one.

Its got to be more then 50miles. A car has no where close to the abuse, vibration, ect a chipper gets.

Vermeer Experience

Hello Gentleman,

I have read all of the stories about my vermeer dealer and I am wondering what I have been doing right. I own several pieces of vermeer equipment including a BC 1400 and a BC1800. I have to admit that I have had problems with the machines. I have had nothing but great luck though with the dealership in the Northeast. As far as my feelings about Vermeer as a manufacturer I have to say that they are know to be an inovative company and with that inovation sometimes comes pain until you get it right.
They are great as far as follow thru with a problem, sometimes it takes a while but I have always been patient as it takes them some time to put a fix together but they have always come thru.
I personally would not purchase another product. I have owned nothing but vermeer now for a long time. The other thing that I have noticed over the years is the resale for the vermeer product holds up longer than any of the other brands. My suggestion to all is to demo many and take more than one opinion from many people. Last but not least communicate as much as you can with the dealer you get more with sugar than you do with salt

Latest posts

Back