Bandmill blade lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain old well water, and lots of it.

Unless I am milling sappy pine then I pour 3-4 oz. of pine sol in with the five gallons of water, if that don't work add more pine sol, or mix up a small batch of 50-50 diesel and bar oil. It just takes a small amount of this poured directly on the blade to quiet a noisy blade and cut the sap.

I use a mixture or diesel, & bar and chain oil.
It is applied with a windshield washer pump. If your set is right you really don't need a coolant, and diesel & oil won't cause your blade's to rust.
On a full day of milling I'll use a little over a gallon of the mixture.

Andy

I use water and pine sol, in the winter time I use windsheild washer fluid.

Me too, except most times i use a shot of dish soap in the water instead of pine sol.. 99% of the time, i use just plain water...

Rob

What is every one using when sharpening the saws to keep them cool? I have been using just a little soap with the water but it has two down sides to it.
1. It foams over.
2. It does not help with cooling the sawtips.
Is there somthing out there that works better?

# I use some stuff that Woodmizer make to run in their sharpeners. It comes in a quart bottle and lasts a long time. If you have a machine shop close by check with them and see if you can get some coolant additive that they use in their machines. I very seldom use anything on blades while cutting and when I do it is usually while cutting maple or ash as they seem to gum the blade up real bad. I use water and some stuff Woodmizer make for this purpose and it works really well to cut the sap on the blade. I have tried pine sol and water and did not seem to clean as well as I liked. I tried Dawn dish soap with mixed results and also tried Desial fuel and bar oil which worked but was not permitted# in the areas that I was cutting in at the time. The enviro police came in every day and checked my mill for any leaks but never found any.

Back